What Is the Electric Field Near a Charged Rod?

• Thread starter DeadFishFactory
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rod
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of the electric field at a specific location near a rod with a known total charge. The equation used to calculate the field is questioned, but is ultimately determined to be correct. It is suggested to derive the equation instead of just plugging in numbers.
DeadFishFactory

Homework Statement

If the total charge on a rod of length 0.4 m is 2.6 nC, what is the magnitude of the electric field at a location 1 cm from the midpoint of the rod?

Homework Equations

[(2QK)/(Y)](1/sqrt(L^2 + 4[(Y)^2]), K = 8.99E9

I don't know if the above equation is actually correct.

The Attempt at a Solution

[2(2.6E-9)(8.99E9) / (0.01)] * 1 / sqrt(0.4^2 + 4(0.01^2)]

= 11700 N/CCan anyone check if this is correct? I don't think it's correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
DeadFishFactory said:
[(2QK)/(Y)](1/sqrt(L^2 + 4[(Y)^2]), K = 8.99E9

I don't know if the above equation is actually correct.

I don't think it's correct. How did you get it?

Oops, I made a mistake. That equation is actually right, but you should derive it yourself rather than just plugging numbers into an equation.

1. What is a uniformly-charged thin rod?

A uniformly-charged thin rod is a long, thin object made of a conductive material that has an equal amount of charge distributed throughout its length. This distribution of charge is constant and does not vary along the length of the rod.

2. How is the charge distributed on a uniformly-charged thin rod?

The charge on a uniformly-charged thin rod is distributed evenly along its length, meaning that each small segment of the rod has the same amount of charge per unit length. This results in a linear charge density, where the charge per unit length is constant.

3. What is the electric field around a uniformly-charged thin rod?

The electric field around a uniformly-charged thin rod is directly proportional to the linear charge density and inversely proportional to the distance from the rod. This means that the electric field is strongest close to the rod and decreases as the distance from the rod increases.

4. How can the electric field of a uniformly-charged thin rod be calculated?

The electric field of a uniformly-charged thin rod can be calculated using the formula E = kλ / r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, λ is the linear charge density, and r is the distance from the rod. This formula applies to points outside the rod. For points inside the rod, a different formula must be used.

5. What are some real-life applications of a uniformly-charged thin rod?

Uniformly-charged thin rods are commonly used in electrostatics experiments and demonstrations. They are also used in the design of electric generators, where they are rotated to generate electricity. In addition, they play a role in the functioning of some electronic devices, such as CRT televisions and particle accelerators.