1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniformly convergent on R

1. Nov 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that [tex]f_{n} = \frac{x}{\sqrt{1+nx^2}}[/tex] is uniformly convergent to 0 on all real numbers

2. Relevant equations
    {f_n} is said to converge uniformly on E if there is a function f:E->R such that for every epsilon >0, there is an N where n>=N implies that | f_n(x) - f(x) | < epsilon, for all x in E.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let f(x) = lim n-> infty f_n(x), and let epsilon > 0. Then it is obvious, that if n>1, that as n -> infty, the limit goes to 0, and thus we would need to show that [tex]\frac{x}{\sqrt{1+nx^2}} < epsilon[/tex]| , which happens as long as n > [tex]\frac{\frac{x}{epslion}-1}{x^2}[/tex]. So, I feel like I got it, except for the 'obvious' statement that f(x) = 0. Am I doing this right? Thanks ahead of time.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i) you want to show lim n->infinity f_n(x)=0 for all x. That tells you the pointwise limit is 0. ii) your algebra is wrong, what happened to the sqrt? ii) There shouldn't be an x in your expression for choosing n. That's what 'uniform' convergence is all about.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?