Is Union Still Relevant in Programming Today?

• Thread starter Pattielli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Union
In summary, Andrei has written a paper about union which explains its benefits and how to use it. There are still other things to learn about union, and anyone with ideas is welcome to share them with the community.
Pattielli
Would you please tell me how "popular" it is today ? I mean if you are still using it in programming or not, since I have heard from many friends of mine that they don't use it at all, even once...So, how about you ? Your ideas are all appreciated, and thank you very much for your help..:sm:

Computer science news on Phys.org
I've never had a case where I truly needed to use a union, although I could have if i wanted to. The place you'd want to use a union is when you want to save on memory. The union only allocates enough memory for the largest member. Structs on the other hand allocate memory for the total size ocuppied by every member. The only bad thing about the union is that you can only use one member at a time.

Thank you, I guess there are a lot of people here coming from C background :sm:
I made this question to ask them if they are still using it as one of the tools included to their making some applications...My background is not originally from informatics, I started learning computer programming also from C and now moving towards C++, i know only a little about both because I actually have no much time to handle them all...I used to be told some things about union too, that it is not oftenly used anymore but since it is also has its own special features which you already mentioned above, it could be exploited to get fitted in some cases... So the problem is how can we take advantage of its bad effects and turn them all into good ones...That is my main idea when creating this thread...

I have tried my best to understand what Andrei said in Andrei's paper about union, but actually and honestly have not yet figured out much all of Andrei's wonderful and great ideas...And I would also like to know if there are still any other things about union beside what is already mentioned by Andrei that we can learn and make use of.
If you have any ideas in mind about this, please tell me...I really would like to learn something from you...

Any ideas are all appreciated!
Thank you very much.

1. What is a union and why is it important?

A union is an organized group of workers who come together to negotiate with their employer for better pay, benefits, and working conditions. It is important because it allows workers to have a collective voice and power in the workplace.

2. What are the benefits of joining a union?

Joining a union can provide numerous benefits to workers, such as higher wages, better healthcare and retirement benefits, job security, and protection against discrimination and unfair treatment. Unions also provide support and resources for workers who may face issues in the workplace.

3. How does a union gain popularity and support?

A union gains popularity and support through its efforts to improve working conditions and rights for its members, as well as through effective communication and outreach to potential members. Unions also often gain public support through their involvement in social and political issues that affect workers.

4. What are some criticisms of unions?

Some common criticisms of unions include the belief that they can be too powerful and influence political agendas, that they protect underperforming workers, and that they can create conflict and division in the workplace. However, these criticisms are often subjective and do not reflect the positive impact that unions have on workers.

5. How do unions impact the economy?

Unions can have a significant impact on the economy by improving the quality of jobs and increasing consumer spending. Higher wages and better benefits for unionized workers often lead to increased consumer spending, which can in turn boost the economy. Unions also advocate for policies that benefit all workers, such as fair labor standards and workplace safety regulations, which can have a positive impact on the economy as a whole.