Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Union of open sets question

1. Nov 10, 2011 #1
    I have to prove that the arbitrary union of open sets (in R) is open.

So this is what I have so far:

Let [itex]\{A_{i\in I}\}[/itex] be a collection of open sets in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. I want to show that [itex]\bigcup_{i\in I}A_{i}[/itex] is also open...

Any ideas from here?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2011 #2

Deveno

Science Advisor

what is your definition of open set?

4. Nov 10, 2011 #3
    The definition we use is that a set [itex]A\subseteq\mathbb{R} [/itex] is an open set if for each [itex]x\in A[/itex] there exists an [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex] such that [itex](x-\epsilon,x+\epsilon)\subseteq A[/itex].

5. Nov 10, 2011 #4

Deveno

Science Advisor

note that if [itex]x \in \bigcup_{i \in I}A_i[/itex], then necessarily [itex]x \in A_i[/itex] for some i.

can you continue...?

6. Nov 10, 2011 #5
    Let [itex]\{A_{i\in I}\}[/itex] be a collection of open sets in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. Let [itex]x\in\bigcup_{i\in I}A_{i}[/itex], then [itex]x\in A_{i}[/itex] for some [itex]i[/itex]. Since each [itex]A_{i}[/itex] is open, there exists an [itex]\epsilon>0 [/itex] such that [itex](x-\epsilon,x+\epsilon)\subseteq A_{i}\subseteq\bigcup_{i\in I}A_{i}[/itex]. Thus, [itex]\bigcup_{i\in I}A_{i}[/itex] is open...

Am I on the right track?

7. Nov 10, 2011 #6

Deveno

Science Advisor

looks good to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook