Proving Union of Sets: A Mathematical Induction Approach

In summary, the homework statement is trying to prove that if A_1,A_2,…,A_n and B are sets, then (A_1 U A_2 U … U A_n) – B is equal to (A_1 U A_n) – B. The attempt at a solution is to give an analogy to demonstrate that the person understands the problem. The standard way to prove two sets are equal is to prove each set is a subset of the other.
Goldenwind

Homework Statement

Prove that if A_1,A_2,…,A_n and B are sets, then
(A_1 – B) U (A_2 – B) U … U (A_n – B) = (A_1 U A_2 U … U A_n) – B.

Homework Equations

The chapter this is in is based on mathematical induction, which might be a big hint.

Mathematical induction:
Step 1: Prove for the base-case (n = 1)
Step 2: Prove for the general case (n = k)
Step 3: Prove for the advancing case (n = k+1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't a clue how to prove this in mathematical terms, but I know how to give an analogy to demonstrate that I understand the scenario.

Imagine people are lined up to enter a building. As they enter the building (As you introduce each union), each person is carrying a bag (A1, A2, A3, etc). When they enter the building, their bags are searched, and anything on the "No-entry" list (Set B) is removed (An airport example would be removing sharp objects, etc).

(Left side:) If you let people in, and remove their "No-entry" objects upon entry...

(equals)...the result will be the same as...

(Right side:) ...if you let them all in, and then removed their "No-entry" objects inside.

This demonstrates that I understand the problem, and through just gosh darned common freakin' sense, I know that this is a true fact.

However, I predict only getting part marks for not using mathematical induction, OR for not using mathematical terms.
My car has stalled; can anyone gimme a push? ;)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Goldenwind said:
My car has stalled; can anyone gimme a push? ;)

Hi Goldenwind!

No, I'll steer, and you push! :wink:

Hint: Rewrite (A_1 U A_2 U … U A_n) – B as C_n - B.

Does that help? :smile:

[size=-2][noparse](… and you have to type ":wink:"!)[/noparse][/size]​

If n= 1, this just says "A1- B= A1- B" which is obviously true.

Now suppose that the statement is true for n= k, so that "(A1- B)U (A2-B)U ...U (Ak- B)= (A1-B)U(A2-B)U...UAk)- B.

Let Ak+1 be any set. You need to prove that (A1U (A2U ...U(Ak- B)U(Ak+1- B)= (A1UA2U...UAkUAk+1)- B.

The standard way of proving that two sets are equal is to prove each is a "subset" of the other. And the standard way to prove "X is a subset of Y" is to say "if x is in X" and then show "x is in Y".

If x is in (A1U (A2U ...U(Ak- B)U(Ak+1- B) then it is in at least one of the sets Ai- B for i from 1 to k+ 1, which means it is in Ai but not in B. Do you see how that implies it is in (A1UA2U...UAkUAk+1)- B?

Now do it the other way around. If x is in (A1UA2U...UAkUAk+1)- B, then it is in that union, but, again, not in B. What do you have to show to prove x is in (A1U (A2U ...U(Ak- B)U(Ak+1- B)?

What is "Union proof"?

"Union proof" refers to the strategies and practices implemented by an organization to prevent or discourage employees from joining or forming a labor union.

Why is "Union proof" important?

"Union proof" is important because it helps organizations maintain control over their workforce and avoid potential disruptions caused by unionization. It also allows for open communication and a positive work environment between employers and employees.

What are some examples of "Union proof" strategies?

Examples of "Union proof" strategies include effective communication with employees, providing fair wages and benefits, addressing employee concerns and grievances, maintaining a positive work culture, and following all labor laws and regulations.

Can "Union proof" strategies be legally enforced?

Yes, "Union proof" strategies can be legally enforced as long as they do not violate any labor laws or infringe upon employees' rights to join or form a union. Employers must also be careful to avoid any actions that may be perceived as anti-union or discriminatory towards employees.

Do all organizations need to implement "Union proof" strategies?

No, it is not mandatory for all organizations to implement "Union proof" strategies. However, it is recommended for organizations that want to maintain a positive relationship with their employees and avoid potential issues related to unionization.