Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unique Frequency

1. Jun 13, 2005 #1

Lisa!

Gold Member

Is the frequency of everyone's voice unique?I couldn't find any article through web about it!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2005 #2
    I would imagine so.

4. Jun 13, 2005 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

there is no single frequency in a persons voice. Our larynx are capable of producing any frequency in the audio range ~(20 - 20k) hz. I would guess that each person produces a unique range of subharmonics with any tone. So yes your voice is unique to you.

5. Jun 13, 2005 #4

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There's quite a bit of information at

http://www.owlinvestigations.com/forensic_articles/aural_spectrographic/fulltext.html

perhaps even too much.

I haven't read all of the material in the above URL myself, but I'll give you my understanding of how a voice works and what identifiable features it has. I shouls warn you that I'm not an expert by any means.

A voice is a low-frequency "buzz" that is shaped by a time-varying filter. The frequency and composition of the "buzz" is not particularly unique, nor is it constant in normal speech. (This frequency controls the pitch of one's voice, which one can vary over a fairly wide range voluntarily).

What gives a voice its unique quality is the shaping imposed on the underlying "buzz" by the persons body, which acts as a time varying filter. The length and width of the person's trachea, the exact dimensions of their mouth, and other physiological features basically control this filtering action, and are all highly characteristic of the individual.

6. Jun 13, 2005 #5
    Hahaha when I pinch my nose my voice rules! Anyways I was just thinking about voice frequency after getting a response regarding it in my, Why does a fan make my voice sound funny thread...or something like that. Anyways after some quick research I found that there is a wide range of frequencies produced by people. Here is a sweet, and simple article that I just read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_frequency

7. Jun 13, 2005 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Can you confirm this? I would be quite surpised if it were true.

8. Jun 13, 2005 #7
    I dunno, I know I can't hit some of those opera singer notes :surprised:

9. Jun 13, 2005 #8

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It seems rather obvious, I mean audio range is kinda what the voice does. I could imagine the ears picking up a bit extra on the extremes but, I'll bet, not a lot.

10. Jun 14, 2005 #9

Lisa!

Gold Member

Thanx all of you.

Thanx.I'll read it later.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?