Unique Frequency: Is Everyone's Voice Unique?

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary: I dunno, I know I can't hit some of those opera singer notes :It seems rather obvious, I mean audio range is kinda what the voice does. I could imagine the ears picking up a bit extra on the extremes but, I'll bet, not a lot.
Lisa!
Gold Member
Is the frequency of everyone's voice unique?I couldn't find any article through web about it!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would imagine so.

there is no single frequency in a persons voice. Our larynx are capable of producing any frequency in the audio range ~(20 - 20k) hz. I would guess that each person produces a unique range of subharmonics with any tone. So yes your voice is unique to you.

Lisa! said:
Is the frequency of everyone's voice unique?I couldn't find any article through web about it!

There's quite a bit of information at

http://www.owlinvestigations.com/forensic_articles/aural_spectrographic/fulltext.html

perhaps even too much.

I haven't read all of the material in the above URL myself, but I'll give you my understanding of how a voice works and what identifiable features it has. I shouls warn you that I'm not an expert by any means.

A voice is a low-frequency "buzz" that is shaped by a time-varying filter. The frequency and composition of the "buzz" is not particularly unique, nor is it constant in normal speech. (This frequency controls the pitch of one's voice, which one can vary over a fairly wide range voluntarily).

What gives a voice its unique quality is the shaping imposed on the underlying "buzz" by the persons body, which acts as a time varying filter. The length and width of the person's trachea, the exact dimensions of their mouth, and other physiological features basically control this filtering action, and are all highly characteristic of the individual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahaha when I pinch my nose my voice rules! Anyways I was just thinking about voice frequency after getting a response regarding it in my, Why does a fan make my voice sound funny thread...or something like that. Anyways after some quick research I found that there is a wide range of frequencies produced by people. Here is a sweet, and simple article that I just read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_frequency

Integral said:
Our larynx are capable of producing any frequency in the audio range ~(20 - 20k) hz.
Can you confirm this? I would be quite surpised if it were true.

Integral said:
there is no single frequency in a persons voice. Our larynx are capable of producing any frequency in the audio range ~(20 - 20k) hz. I would guess that each person produces a unique range of subharmonics with any tone. So yes your voice is unique to you.

I dunno, I know I can't hit some of those opera singer notes :

DaveC426913 said:
Can you confirm this? I would be quite surpised if it were true.
It seems rather obvious, I mean audio range is kinda what the voice does. I could imagine the ears picking up a bit extra on the extremes but, I'll bet, not a lot.

Thanx all of you.

pervect said:
There's quite a bit of information at

http://www.owlinvestigations.com/forensic_articles/aural_spectrographic/fulltext.html

perhaps even too much.

I haven't read all of the material in the above URL myself, but I'll give you my understanding of how a voice works and what identifiable features it has. I shouls warn you that I'm not an expert by any means.

A voice is a low-frequency "buzz" that is shaped by a time-varying filter. The frequency and composition of the "buzz" is not particularly unique, nor is it constant in normal speech. (This frequency controls the pitch of one's voice, which one can vary over a fairly wide range voluntarily).

What gives a voice its unique quality is the shaping imposed on the underlying "buzz" by the persons body, which acts as a time varying filter. The length and width of the person's trachea, the exact dimensions of their mouth, and other physiological features basically control this filtering action, and are all highly characteristic of the individual.
Thanx.I'll read it later.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is unique frequency and how is it related to a person's voice?

Unique frequency refers to the specific pitch or tone of a person's voice. It is determined by the size and shape of a person's vocal cords, which are unique to each individual.

2. Can two people have the same unique frequency?

No, it is highly unlikely for two people to have the exact same unique frequency. Even identical twins have slight differences in the size and shape of their vocal cords, resulting in a slightly different unique frequency.

3. How is unique frequency measured?

Unique frequency is measured in Hertz (Hz) using a device called a spectrograph, which records the vibrations of a person's vocal cords when speaking or singing. It can also be measured using a pitch detection software.

4. Is unique frequency only determined by vocal cords?

No, other factors such as the shape of the throat, mouth, and nasal cavity can also contribute to a person's unique frequency. These factors can affect the resonance and timbre of a person's voice.

5. Can unique frequency change over time?

Yes, factors such as aging, hormonal changes, and vocal training can affect a person's unique frequency. Additionally, a person's unique frequency may vary depending on their emotional state, level of fatigue, or illness.