1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unique nonneg. square root for nonneg. real number

1. Feb 26, 2009 #1
    Hello,
    No exclamation mark after hello I'm afraid, I'm frustrated with the following proof.
    Okay, here's the theorem first:
    Every nonnegative real number a has a unique nonnegative square root.
    Here's the start of the proof, pretty much as they have done it but slightly condensed, all equations are included: a=0 then [tex]\sqrt(a)[/tex]=0. If a>0 let S be the set of all positive x such that [tex]x^2 \leq a[/tex]. Since (1+a)2>a the number (1+a) is an upper bound for S. Also, S is non-empty because the number [tex]\frac{a}{(1+a)}[/tex] is in S. In fact [tex]a^2 \leq a(1+a)^2[/tex] and hence [tex]\frac{a^2}{(1+a)^2} \leq a[/tex]. S has a least upper bound, b; [tex]b\geq \frac{a}{(1+a)}[/tex] so b>0. Therefore, the three possibilities are b2>a, b2<a or b2=a. It then goes on to prove b2=a after some further working out.
    Okay, so [tex]x^2 \leq a[/tex] indicates the range that the elements x in set S can fall into. The next bit, (1+a)2>a, means (1+a) is the upper bound, a2 can be equal to a and in that case the element x=a=1, so this is can't be an upper bound. So (1+a) forms the upper bound, but surely (a+tiny amount)2 would be an upper bound as I move closer to a?
    Next, S is not a void set because [tex]\frac{a}{(1+a)}[/tex] is in S. I figured since it has to be <a but >0, but it doesn't imediately seem an obvious 'move', if that makes sense. The next bit throws me, a2<=a(1+a)2, and since I don't know what's going on here I can't proceed with the proof. It also may come across from what I have written, but I'm not confident with the first 'bits'. Anyone want to attempt to explain this for me? Not all the proof, preferably upto what I have included here if you don't mind.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?