1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unique solution

1. Apr 4, 2007 #1

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Here's a problem from one of the last (or previous of last) year, which bothers me ssssssoooooooo much. I've been working on this like a day or so, and haven't progressed very far. So, I'd be very glad if someone can give me a push on this.

[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{ccc} e ^ x - e ^ y & = & \ln(1 + x) - \ln(1 + y) \\ y - x & = & a \end{array} \right.[/tex]

Prove that if a > 0, then the system of equation above has only one set of solution (x, y).
    Thanks a lot. :smile:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2007 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

So what have you tried? I've only looked at it briefly, but it appears to always have exactly one solution.

4. Apr 4, 2007 #3
    I don't know if this help, or if you tried it, but consider this function :
    F(y)=Exp(y+a)+Exp(y) - Ln(1+y+a)+Ln(1+y)
    try to look up the derivative and see if you deduce anything from it.
    for example if the derivative is strictly positive or negative, then you can say that there exist one solution over ]-1, infinity[ that f(y)=0
    need further exploration..

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  5. Apr 5, 2007 #4

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Whoops, :blushing:, ok, I finally get it.
    Did mess up with some signs. woot >"<
    Thanks everyone. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?