Uniqueness of Vector x: Exploring Scalars and Free Variables in Linear Algebra

In summary, the vector x is not unique, as it contains a free variable. In order for x to be unique, all three components must be fixed values without any variables. It is possible that there was an error in copying the equations for x_1, x_2, and x_3.
fk378

Homework Statement

Determine if the vector x is unique.

x = (-15, -3, 0) + x_3 (10, 0, 1)

Note: The scalars should be vertically placed instead of horizontal.

The Attempt at a Solution

Seeing that there is a free variable, I said that x is not unique, but my teacher marked it wrong. Why is it unique, and in what case would it not be unique?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So, x_3 is the 3rd component of x correct? If that's the case (I don't see what else it could be) then I agree that it doesn't seem to be unique as we have

(1) x_1 = -15 + 10t
(2) x_2 = -3
(3) x_3 = t

Now t can be chosen to be any real number. Are you sure that you copied them correctly?

Last edited:

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size or length) and direction. It can be represented graphically as an arrow.

2. How is a vector unique?

A vector is unique because it has specific values for both magnitude and direction, and these values cannot be changed without altering the vector itself.

3. Can two vectors have the same magnitude and direction?

No, two vectors cannot have the same magnitude and direction and still be considered unique. Even if they appear identical, they are still separate entities with their own distinct properties.

4. How is the uniqueness of a vector important in science?

In science, vectors are used to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration. The uniqueness of a vector allows us to accurately describe and analyze these quantities in various situations, leading to a better understanding of the physical world.

5. Can a vector be added to another vector to create a unique vector?

Yes, when two vectors are added together, the resulting vector will have its own unique magnitude and direction, making it a unique vector.