1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniqueness of function

1. Aug 19, 2008 #1

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all functions f(z) satisfying a) f(z) is analytic in the disc |z-1| < 1, and b) f(n/(n+1)) = 1 - 1 / (2n^2 + 2n+1).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    One can deduce by algebraic re-arrangement that one solution is f(z) = 2z / (1+z^2). But how can I show that this function is the unique function satisfying this condition? Any hints?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let g(z)=2z/(1+z^2). Then let h(z)=f(z)-g(z). The zeros of h(z) have a cluster point at z=1. The zeros of an analytic function which is not zero are isolated. So what is h(z)?

4. Aug 19, 2008 #3

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Dick, thanks for the reply. A few things: If you let g(z) = 2z/(1+z^2) and you have already f(z) = 2z/(1+z^2), then isn't h(z) identically 0? I don't see what you meant here.

Second, this was from a fairly unrigorous class intended for physicists, so we never defined 'cluster point'. Perhaps you could re-phrase in more intuitive language?

5. Aug 19, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi nicksauce,

You don't have f(z)=2z/(1+z^2), that's what you are trying to prove, isn't it? And proving h(z)=0 will do that. Sorry to use words without defining them, it didn't look like a physics question. g(1)=1 and by continuity f(1)=1. So h(1)=0. If h(z) is analytic and nonzero, and it IS analytic since f(z) and g(z) are, then the zero at z=1 must be isolated. Which means there is a disk around z=1 where h(z) is nonzero. Since the limit of n/(n+1) is 1 (i.e. 1 is a cluster point) and h(n/(n+1))=0, that contradicts h(z) having an isolated zero at z=1. Hence, h(z)=0.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  6. Aug 19, 2008 #5

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok that seems to make sense. Thanks!

7. Aug 19, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

'seems to make sense'?? REALLY!!?? It does make sense! :). I don't know exactly what field of physics you're in, but there is a surprising amount of info you can get out of complex analysis. Look at the S-matrix. If you assume it's analytic with branch cuts in the complex energy plane you get all kinds of stuff.

8. Aug 19, 2008 #7

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Allow me to clarify a few things...

I didn't mean it was physics questions. What I meant was that as a physics student, I took the complex variables course that is intended for physics students, thus with more of a focus on calculations and applications and a bit of a lack of rigorous definitions, rather than a course intended for math students.

Well I am just an undergrad and I have no idea what an S-matrix is, but I'll try to keep that in mind. :p

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?