1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniqueness of Limits Proof

1. Jan 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using the delta-epsilon definition of limits, prove that of lim f(x) = l and lim f(x) =m, then l=m

2. Relevant equations
    Delta-epsilon definiition of the limit of f(x), as x approaches a:
    For all e>0, there is a d s.t if for all x, |x-a|<d, then |f(x) -l|<e

3. The attempt at a solution
    Suppose not. Then
    (1): For all e>0, there is a d1 s.t. |f(x) - l|<e, provided |x-a|<d1 for all x
    (2): For all e>0, there is a d2 s.t. |f(x) - m|<e, provided |x-a|<d2 for all x

I'm getting stuck at finding the delta that works for both of them. I see that the next step is to pick d=min(d1, d2), but I'm confused as to why this is the case

For instance, if d1=1, and d2=2, I don't see how d=1 would satisfy (2) above

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2013 #2
    Given some ##\delta## that works in an epsilon-delta proof, you can always take a smaller delta, ##\delta'##, instead (since ##|x-a|<\delta' < \delta \rightarrow |x-a| < \delta##). So if ##\delta_1## works for (1) and ##\delta_2## works for (2), then ##min(\delta_1,\delta_2)## works for both.

4. Jan 20, 2013 #3
    Alright, I see. I was thinking max and confusing myself, lol. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook