1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniqueness Proof

1. Jan 31, 2013 #1
    I am having to justify the steps in a proof of the uniqueness theorem. I am supposed to show why the inequality follows from the initial equation.

http://i.imgur.com/AxApogj.png

[itex]\phi[/itex](t) - [itex]\psi[/itex](t) =∫0t 2s[[itex]\phi[/itex](t) - [itex]\psi[/itex](t)] ds

|[itex]\phi[/itex](t) - [itex]\psi[/itex](t)| =|∫0t 2s[[itex]\phi[/itex](t) - [itex]\psi[/itex](t)] ds| [itex]\leq[/itex] ∫0t 2s|[[itex]\phi[/itex](t) - [itex]\psi[/itex](t)]| ds , with t>0

I have no idea where to start. Mostly, I am unsure as to why pulling the 2s out will make it larger than the initial absolute value. Could anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In the interval, s is always positive, but the other term may vary in sign. That would lead to some cancellation during the integration process. If we take the absolute value of the integrand, it can only increase the result:
    |∫0t 2s[ϕ(t) - ψ(t)] ds| ≤ ∫0t |2s[ϕ(t) - ψ(t)]| ds = ∫0t 2s|[ϕ(t) - ψ(t)]| ds

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook