Get Opinions on UNISA Degrees: Can I Go to Grad School?

• Thread starter Mépris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Opinions
In summary, UNISA is a good option for someone who does not want to quit their job, but it may have trouble with the accreditation in the future.
Mépris
Hi,

The odds are that my applications to US colleges will fail. My other cards are the grandes ecoles in France (5 years master - can do either physics, applied math/stats/cs or even engineering, though I doubt I will do that), Physics BS (3 years) at the local university and yeah, that's about it so far.

So, I was considering doing a degree online and UNISA looks like a good place to do it. What is interesting with them is that they will provide me with the flexibility that my local university can't. I will be able to come out of it with an applied math or maths & stats bachelor's degree. My main concern is whether I will be able to go to grad school with an online degree. How does one go about that? Is that even feasible? What about research? I know people at the local university, so *perhaps*, I could try and get into contact with the maths department there and see if I can get some research experience under my belt?

Opinions welcome.

Thank you.

Edit:

UNISA stands for University of South Africa (google it if you have to)

Physics news on Phys.org
I was looking forward to apply to UNISA for Msc in physics because I want to keep my full time job. There are no universities in my country that provide degrees in evening or weekends not to mention distance method. I tried to apply, however I run into unusual correspondence irregularities in documents exchange when applying therefore I did not complete applications until find out more about UNISA and etc.

I appreciate anybody giving comments about UNISA through correspondence.

thanks for reply.
You mentioned that they are very good. Very good in what? What is your experience with them?

Well, their courses are well structured, interesting and the amount of modules available is great as there will always be something interesting for you to take. I found that the math side of things were of a very high standard.

One problem I didn't like is that some modules have exams that overlap (quite a lot do in fact), meaning that you cannot take them in the same year and would have to postpone some to another year.

It's depressing really that they never renewed their accreditation (out of sheer laziness).

Is that the reason you did not finish it?
I noticed that you have master's in theoretical physics. How did you finish it?
I am looking for online master's in physics. The reason is that I do not want to quit my job. J

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't finish because I decided to start traveling the world (nothing to do with UNISA itself). It took me over 7 years of constant traveling before I decided to move to the UK. Right now I am working toward my undergrad masters at regular a red-brick university.

Bottom line is I would recommend UNISA, it is just that the accreditation might be an issue later on. There is a very lengthy way around this, which is mentioned in the link I posted in this thread:

"One way for the accreditation of Unisa’s qualifications in foreign countries with an established Qualifications Authority, is for the two qualification authorities involved to negotiate the mutual recognition and accreditation of each other’s qualifications."

It is possible, but it is also unfortunately not guaranteed.

1. What are the requirements for graduate school at UNISA?

The requirements for graduate school at UNISA vary depending on the specific degree program. Generally, applicants need to have a bachelor's degree or equivalent, a minimum GPA of 3.0, and relevant work experience. Some programs may also require standardized test scores and letters of recommendation.

2. Can I apply for graduate school at UNISA with a degree from another university?

Yes, UNISA accepts applications from students who have obtained a bachelor's degree from another university. However, the degree must be equivalent to the one offered at UNISA, and applicants may need to provide additional documentation to prove the equivalency.

3. What types of graduate degrees does UNISA offer?

UNISA offers a variety of graduate degrees, including master's degrees, doctoral degrees, and postgraduate diplomas. These degrees are available in a range of fields, including education, business, law, science, and more.

4. How long does it take to complete a graduate degree at UNISA?

The length of time to complete a graduate degree at UNISA varies depending on the program and the student's individual pace. Generally, master's degrees take 1-2 years to complete, while doctoral degrees can take 3-6 years.

5. Does UNISA offer online graduate programs?

Yes, UNISA offers many online graduate programs that provide students with flexibility and convenience in their studies. These programs are designed for students who may not be able to attend classes in person and allow for remote learning and interaction with professors and classmates.