1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit Ball

1. Apr 8, 2006 #1
    Consider the unit ball [tex]B_1=\{f:\rho_u(f,0)\leq 1\}[/tex] in the metric space [tex](C[0,1],\rho_u)[/tex] where [tex]\rho_u(f,g)=sup\{\forall x(|f(x)-g(x)|)\}.[/tex] Show that there exists a sequence [tex]g_n\in B_1[/tex] such that NO subsequence of [tex]g_n[/tex] converges in [tex]\rho_u[/tex].

I want to know if what I'm doing is right. Suppose I define a sequence of functions that converge to a function OUTSIDE of C[0,1]=(the space of all continuous functions on 0,1), then any subsequence of such a function would not converge, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2006 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right...........

4. Apr 9, 2006 #3
    But at no point did I use the fact that the function I defined doesn't converge in [tex]\rho_u[/tex].

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  5. Apr 9, 2006 #4

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well you're missing a lot of facts. I figured you would fill in the details, and you just wanted to know if your idea would work. So yes, it will work. C[0,1] is a subspace of B[0,1], the space of all bounded real-valued functions on [0,1]. You can give B[0,1] the same metric. Then there are some more easy details to work out, but you can do it. In fact, I don't know if you have to regard C[0,1] as a subspace of any other space, you can try to prove more directly that no subsequence converges.

6. Apr 9, 2006 #5
    Great. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?