1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit cell Density Problem

1. Sep 29, 2011 #1
    Knowing the atomic weights of Na+ and Cl- are 23 and 35.5, respectively, calculate the density (g/cm^3) of NaCl crystal. Hint: Avogadro’s number N = 6.02 x 10^23 is the number of atoms in one mole (weight of 1 mole = atomic weight in grams)

unit cell is Face centered
    unit cell contains a total of 4 Na+ atoms and 4Cl- atoms
    unit cell is a cube with length 'a'.

so far I have found the mass of the total unit cell to be

m = 4( 23 + 35.5) = 234g/mol

and now im trying to find volume per mol but I'm not sure if I am doing this right...

I found volume by cubing length 'a' because its a cube. I was wondering if I could avagadros number by the volume and then multiply that with 234g/mol to find the density

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2011 #2
    A mass in atomic mass units divided by Avagadros number results in mass in grams.

Assuming you want the density in grams per cubic centimeter, you may divide the mass of a unit cell converted to grams by the volume of a unit cell to converted to cubic centimeters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook