Unit circle and the roots

In summary, we use the residue theorem to calculate the integral of dθ/(1+acos(θ)) from 0 to 2∏, by first substituting cos(θ)=1/2(e^(iθ)+e^(-iθ)) and then solving for the pole. If |a|>1, there will be two complex roots on the unit circle, while if |a|<1, there will be one complex root on the unit circle. In the case of |a|<1, the answer will be 2∏/√(1-a^2).
darthmonkey

Homework Statement

Calculate the integral ∫dθ/(1+acos(θ)) from 0 to 2∏ using residues.

Homework Equations

Res[itex]\underline{zo}[/itex](z)=lim[itex]\underline{z->zo}[/itex] (z-z0)f(zo)*2∏i

The Attempt at a Solution

To start I sub cos(θ)=1/2(e^(iθ)+e^(-iθ)) so that de^(iθ)=ie^(iθ)dθ

Re-writing in terms of e^(iθ) and then subbing in z for e^(iθ) I get dz/(iz(1+a(1/2)(z+z*))

This becomes -2idz/(az^2+2z+a). Solving for the pole I get two imaginary roots. The problem is this is all done on the unit circle and the roots I'm getting depend on a so it means the poles are not necessarily in the circle. One should be. 0 is another root but is trivial.

Also I tried solving this integral numerically and it gave me 0 but the answer should be 2∏/√(1-a^2)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I think the answer depends on whether a > 1. If it is, the roots are complex and both lie inside the unit circle, and they cancel. If < 1, only one root lies inside the circle, so you ignore the other.

darthmonkey said:
Solving for the pole I get two imaginary roots. The problem is this is all done on the unit circle and the roots I'm getting depend on a so it means the poles are not necessarily in the circle.
When |a|>1, you should get two complex roots, namely ##z=-\frac{1}{a} \pm i\sqrt{1-\left(\frac{1}{a}\right)^2}##. You should be able to convince yourself that both roots lie on the unit circle.

0 is another root but is trivial.
z=0 isn't a root.

Also I tried solving this integral numerically and it gave me 0 but the answer should be 2∏/√(1-a^2)
From the answer, you should see that you must have |a|<1, so that's the case you're primarily interested in.

What is a unit circle?

A unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 that is centered at the origin of a coordinate plane. It is used in mathematics to represent trigonometric functions and their relationships.

What are the coordinates of points on the unit circle?

The coordinates of points on the unit circle are (cosθ, sinθ), where θ is the measure of the angle formed by the radius and the positive x-axis.

What are the roots of a unit circle?

The roots of a unit circle are the values of θ that make cosθ or sinθ equal to 0. These values are 0°, 90°, 180°, 270°, and 360°, and their corresponding radian measures.

How are the roots of a unit circle related to trigonometric functions?

The roots of a unit circle are the x-intercepts of the graphs of trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine. This means that the values of θ that make cosθ or sinθ equal to 0 are where these functions cross the x-axis.

Why is the unit circle important?

The unit circle is important because it provides a visual representation of the relationships between trigonometric functions and their values. It is also used to simplify calculations and solve equations involving these functions.