1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit circle and the roots

1. Dec 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the integral ∫dθ/(1+acos(θ)) from 0 to 2∏ using residues.

2. Relevant equations

Res[itex]\underline{zo}[/itex](z)=lim[itex]\underline{z->zo}[/itex] (z-z0)f(zo)*2∏i

3. The attempt at a solution

To start I sub cos(θ)=1/2(e^(iθ)+e^(-iθ)) so that de^(iθ)=ie^(iθ)dθ

Re-writing in terms of e^(iθ) and then subbing in z for e^(iθ) I get dz/(iz(1+a(1/2)(z+z*))

This becomes -2idz/(az^2+2z+a). Solving for the pole I get two imaginary roots. The problem is this is all done on the unit circle and the roots I'm getting depend on a so it means the poles are not necessarily in the circle. One should be. 0 is another root but is trivial.

Also I tried solving this integral numerically and it gave me 0 but the answer should be 2∏/√(1-a^2)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Re: Residues

I think the answer depends on whether a > 1. If it is, the roots are complex and both lie inside the unit circle, and they cancel. If < 1, only one root lies inside the circle, so you ignore the other.

4. Dec 21, 2012 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Re: Residues

When |a|>1, you should get two complex roots, namely ##z=-\frac{1}{a} \pm i\sqrt{1-\left(\frac{1}{a}\right)^2}##. You should be able to convince yourself that both roots lie on the unit circle.

z=0 isn't a root.

From the answer, you should see that you must have |a|<1, so that's the case you're primarily interested in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook