1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit Circle

1. May 25, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Unit Circle

How can I use the unit circle to get the right answer. I understand the 30 60 90 and 45 45 90 triangles, but come to a problem when using this method with cosine. For example cosine(3pi/2) is -[2^(1/2)]/2. Using my method I get the positive. Please explain the methods of using the unit circle.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2008 #2
    Have you learned about reference angles?

Let's use this Unit Circle as our guide: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/pdf/Trig_Cheat_Sheet.pdf go to page 3.

Ok let's start in Quadrant 1. We know the Trigonometric values for 30-60-90 are for Cosine & Sine are ... refer to page 3.

Well if we look at Quadrant 2, and use our knowledge about reference angles, we can see that the trigonometric values for 30 & 150 are the same, except that cosine is negative.
    Last edited: May 25, 2008
  4. May 25, 2008 #3
    Not sure what exactly are reference angles, but I do know how to convert from radians to degrees.
  5. May 25, 2008 #4
    Yes they are the same, but negative why exactly?
  6. May 25, 2008 #5
    Are you in the positive or negative x direction? If you go around the unit circle, in quadrant 2, only the x-values became negative.

In quadrant 3, both x and y are negative, but in quadrant 4, only the y-values are negative.

Quadrant 1: positive x and y
    Quadrant 2: negative x and positive y

30 degrees and 150 degrees are reference angles bc 180 - 150 = 30. Same goes for 135, 180 - 135 = 45.

If you start on the negative x-axis, and draw an angle towards the positive y-axis in a clock-wise direction, isn't that basically the same as drawing a 30 degree angle in the positive x-axis going in a counter-clockwise direction except in a different quadrant?

Both of these have hypotenuse 1, originating from the Origin. So now draw a 150 degree angle coming from the positive x-axis, you're triangle isn't going to have a 150 degree angle, that's not how we draw it. It's actually the remaining 30 degrees left that will form the angle for your triangle.
    Last edited: May 25, 2008
  7. May 25, 2008 #6
    Okay so if I was to use cosine which is X/R. I would receive a negative answer because of the negative x. Tell me if I'm wrong.
  8. May 25, 2008 #7
    It depends what quadrant your in.
  9. May 25, 2008 #8
    Sorry a Quadrant 2.
  10. May 25, 2008 #9
    Thx for the help rocomath I think I can handle it myself from here.
  11. May 26, 2008 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I notice this has been marked "solved" but no one has pointed out to anon413 that " For example cosine(3pi/2) is -[2^(1/2)]/2" is wrong.

Draw a unit circle on an xy- coordinate system. Angle "0" starts on the right, on the x-axis, at the point (1, 0). A circle of radius one has circumference 2pi, so going around the circle (counter-clockwise) a distance of pi/2 (one right angle) takes you 1/4 of the way around the circle or to the y- axis, (0, 1). Another pi/2 takes you to the negative x-axis, (-1, 0). The third right angle, to 3pi/2, takes you to the negative y-axis, (0, -1). Since "cosine" can be defined as the x-coordinate of such points, cos(3pi/2)= 0, not -sqrt(2)/2. (And sin(3pi/2)= -1.)

Perhaps you mean cos(3pi/4). pi/4 is half of a right angle (and 1/8 of the entire circle) so pi/4 takes you to the point on the circle halfway between (1, 0) and (0, 1): where the line y= x intersects the circle. 2pi/4 is exactly a right angle and so takes you to (1, 0) as before. 3pi/4 takes you halfway between (1, 0) and (-1, 0), where the line y= -x crosses the circle, in the second quadrant. That point satisfies both x2+ y2= 1 and y= -x: setting y= -x in the quadratic, x2+ (-x)2= 2x2= 1 so x= +/- sqrt(1/2)= +/- sqrt(2)/2. Since we are in the second quadrant, x< 0 so x= -sqrt(2)/2: that is, cos(3pi/4)= -sqrt(2)/2. (And since y= -x, sin(3pi/4)= sqrt(2)/2.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?