1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit conversion help

1. Nov 1, 2005 #1
    Hello,
    I need to convert a moment of intertia value given in g*cm^2 to kg*m^2, and was hoping someone could give me a run down of the method behind these kind of conversions. Do I simply assume that since g to kg is a factor 0.001 and cm to m is 0.01, that I can apply a factor of 0.00001 to my initial value? I feel that that method would be fine for say, g*cm to kg*cm, but I'm not sure how to account for the squared dimension. Any help/explanation would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2005 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In general when converting units set your quantity to be converted and your conversion factor up as a multiplication of fractions. For example from m/s to cm/s
    [tex] 10 \frac m s * 100 \frac {cm} {m} = 10*100 \frac m s * \frac {cm} {m} = 1000 \frac {cm} s [/tex]
    Note that in this example the m in the numerator cancels the m in the denominator, leaving only cm in the numerator.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
  4. Nov 1, 2005 #3
    okay, i see what you mean, i've used that technique before, but the confusion came from two places for me.
    1) that i'm dealing with a squared quantity, so would the conversion be 1000cm^2/m^2?
    2) that the it's g*cm^2, rather than g/cm^2, leaving me wondering how to actually set up the calculation.

i'm sure it's quite obvious how to do this, but the way i set it up, the units don't cancel out. i need to be certain of this conversion before i can begin to do the problem, since it's for an online assignment for which i have only one attempt. could you possibly lay out how you'd set it up for the case of my calculation? i know it's not usually acceptable to 'give' the solution away in this forum, but the physics of the problem are not a concern, just this one calculation. okay, thanks again for your help.

5. Nov 1, 2005 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The method is the same just square the conversion factors. So

[tex]10m^2 = 10 m^2 * (100 \frac {cm} m)^2 = 10 * 10^4 m^2 \frac {cm^2} {m^2} = 10^5 cm^2[/tex]

6. Nov 2, 2005 #5
    thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?