1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit conversion W->J

1. Apr 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Effective Power generation of the plant is 5.43*[itex]10^{7}[/itex]W but it will required 9*[itex]10^{16}[/itex]J to be created.

Essentially the break-even will after solving equation Energy required/Power Generated however I get results of almost 50 years. Would this be correct?

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=9E16+Joules+/+5.34E7+Watts

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

In your problem statement you say the Effective Power is 5.43 x 107 W, but on the web page calculation you used 5.34 x 107 W. A typo no doubt. But yes, the result can be expected to be in the neighborhood of 50 years.

4. Apr 19, 2014 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sans the typo gneill noted, this is correct.

Your link stops for me at 1.685×109 J/W. (Perhaps I've overused wolfram alpha?) Sometimes it helps have to cajole wolfram alpha to that it will take the answer a step further.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=convert+9E16+Joules+/+5.34E7+Watts+to+years

5. Apr 19, 2014 #4
    The conclusion is simple. There is no point to invest a broken penny into this power station.

6. Apr 19, 2014 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

:confused: Huh? Did you fail to properly state the problem? What is the criterion for your conclusion?

7. Apr 20, 2014 #6
    I don't like the title of that thread. That problem has nothing to do with unit conversion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted