Unit Conversion: 5m/s^2 to Km/hr^2 & ft/hr^2

In summary, the acceleration of the particle is 64800 km/hr^2 and 212598425 ft/hr^2. To convert from m/s^2 to km/hr^2 and ft/hr^2, we can use the conversions 1 km = 1000 m, 1 m = 3.28 ft, and 1 hr = 3600 s. By replacing and simplifying units, we can get the final answers.
BlueOwl

Homework Statement

The acceleration of a particle is 5 m/s^2. What is the acceleration in Km/hr^2 and ft/hr^2?

Homework Equations

1km=1000m , 1m = 3.28 ft , 1hr=3600s

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so i have answers with calculator which is

5m/s^2 = 64800 km/hr^2 and 212598425 ft/hr^2

I tried doing it by showing the process but i couldn't get the same answer
the square parts confuse me when doing the math can anyone please show me how to do the
process of getting those answers thanks. for example :

5 x (1 meter / 1 second ^2 )
5 x( ? kilometer / ? hour^2) Like that by replacing and doing the math :D .

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's an example of one way to do it:
1 m/s^2 = 1 m/(1/3600 hr)^2 = 1/(1/3600)^2 m/hr^2 = (3600)^2 m/hr^2

Just keep replacing units by their equivalent. Here, 1 sec = 1/3600 hr. When you square a quantity, square both the number and the unit.

As a scientist, it is important to understand and use unit conversions accurately in order to properly analyze and communicate data. In this case, we are converting a unit of acceleration from meters per second squared (m/s^2) to kilometers per hour squared (km/hr^2) and feet per hour squared (ft/hr^2).

To begin, we can use the conversion factors provided in the problem to convert meters to kilometers and seconds to hours. This will give us the following:

5 m/s^2 x (1 km / 1000 m) x (3600 s / 1 hr)^2

Now, we can simplify the units to get our final answer in km/hr^2:

5 x (1 / 1000) x (3600)^2 km/hr^2

= 64800 km/hr^2

Similarly, for feet per hour squared, we can use the conversion factor of 1 meter equaling 3.28 feet:

5 m/s^2 x (3.28 ft / 1 m) x (3600 s / 1 hr)^2

= 212598425 ft/hr^2

It is important to note that the square in the units of acceleration represents the squared time unit, not the squared speed unit. Therefore, when converting, we must also square the conversion factor for time.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the process of converting units for acceleration. Remember to always check your units and use the correct conversion factors to ensure accurate results.

1. What is the formula for converting from meters per second squared to kilometers per hour squared?

The formula for converting from meters per second squared to kilometers per hour squared is:
1 m/s² = 3.6 km/hr²

2. How do I convert a velocity of 5 meters per second squared to kilometers per hour squared?

To convert 5 m/s² to km/hr², simply multiply 5 by 3.6.
5 m/s² = (5 x 3.6) km/hr² = 18 km/hr²

3. Is the conversion factor from meters per second squared to kilometers per hour squared always 3.6?

Yes, the conversion factor from meters per second squared to kilometers per hour squared is always 3.6.

4. How does converting from meters per second squared to feet per hour squared work?

To convert from meters per second squared to feet per hour squared, we need to first convert meters to feet and seconds to hours. This can be done by using the following conversion factors:
1 m = 3.281 ft
1 s = 0.0002778 hr
Once we have converted the units, we can use the conversion factor of 1 m/s² = 0.0929 ft/hr² to convert the velocity in m/s² to ft/hr².

5. What is the difference between meters per second squared and kilometers per hour squared?

Meters per second squared (m/s²) and kilometers per hour squared (km/hr²) are both units of acceleration. The main difference between them is the unit of distance and time used. Meters per second squared is a metric unit, commonly used in scientific calculations, while kilometers per hour squared is a larger unit commonly used in everyday measurements. Converting between the two units involves multiplying or dividing by a conversion factor of 3.6.