Understanding kN in Torque Problems

• Thread starter Enoch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unit
In summary, kN stands for kilo Newtons, which is equal to 1000 Newtons. It is commonly used to measure force, with smaller units like m, d, or D preceding it. When converting from Newtons to kN, the answer is multiplied by 1000.
Enoch
Unit kN? What is it?

I have a question asking for the tension in a cable that supports a beam. It asks me to find the answer in kN.

What is kN? I know how to solve the problem, but I have no idea what this unit is...What is k?

Figure at the bottom in an attachment.

For the record the question is a torque problem, with given mass values for a beam and two weights in kilograms, as well as the theta value (39 degrees) in tension. I'm assuming I multiply gravity times the mass to get the weight, so that this equation works.

Weight1 X (Length/2) + Weight2 X (Length) + Weight3 (aribitrary distance) = Length X Tsin(39)

This equation has proved correct in a quiz, and it has been explained to me by several profs. However, when I try to apply it to find the answer in kN...I get the wrong answer. Am I converting the weight wrong or is it something else? I realllly need help on this guys :).

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    24 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
kN is KILO Newtons (x10^3) Newtons
in most cases something like m, d, D, preceeding N where N is Newtons for force, then its usually a smaller unit

stunner5000pt said:
kN is KILO Newtons (x10^3) Newtons
in most cases something like m, d, D, preceeding N where N is Newtons for force, then its usually a smaller unit

So if I had an answer like 1054.47 N, it would be 1.05447 kN?

Enoch said:
So if I had an answer like 1054.47 N, it would be 1.05447 kN?
yes that's right

Thanks a lot stunner!

What is "Unit kN"?

"Unit kN" stands for kilonewton, which is a unit of force commonly used in the field of physics and engineering.

What is the conversion rate for kN to other units of force?

1 kilonewton is equivalent to 1,000 newtons, or approximately 225 pounds of force.

How is kN different from kg?

kN is a unit of force, while kg is a unit of mass. They are not interchangeable and cannot be converted directly.

What is the symbol for kilonewton?

The symbol for kilonewton is kN, with the "k" representing the prefix for "kilo" and the "N" representing the unit for newtons.

What are some common applications of kN in scientific research?

Kilonewtons are commonly used to measure the force of gravity, the weight of objects, and the strength of materials in fields such as physics, engineering, and geology.