Unit Normal for Epicycloid

• MHB
  • Thread starter bugatti79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Normal Unit
In summary, The conversation is about deriving the unit normal and the confusion arises from the term n_x. The speaker explains that the (r+p) term cancels out when dividing N_x by the length of N. They also mention that the bottom part can be simplified using Pythagorean and sum-difference identities.
bugatti79
Hi Folks,

I got stuck towards the end where it ask to derive the unit normal. I don't know how they arrived at [tex]n_x[/tex]. I have looked at trig identities...

[tex]n_x=\frac{N_x}{|N_x|}=[/tex]

1) I don't see the (r+p) term anywhere in neither the top nor bottom.

2) Is the bottom just based on simple trig identities? Wolfram didnt simply the denominator
simplify '('sin A -m sin'('A'+'B')'')''^'2 - Wolfram|Alpha

Attachments

• Unit Normal.jpg
    Unit Normal.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 60
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bugatti79,

The $r+\rho$ term cancels upon dividing $N_x$ by the length $|N|=\sqrt{|N_x|^2+|N_y|^2}$.

As for the second part, Pythagorean and sum-difference identities establish the equality:
$({\sin(\theta)-{m}{\sin(\theta+\psi)}})^2+({\cos(\theta)-{m}{\cos(\theta+\psi)}})^2=1-2{m}{\cos(\psi)}+m^2$

1. What is a unit normal for an epicycloid?

A unit normal for an epicycloid is a vector that is perpendicular to the tangent of the curve at a given point. It is used to calculate the curvature and direction of the curve at that point.

2. How is the unit normal for an epicycloid calculated?

The unit normal for an epicycloid can be calculated using the derivative of the curve's parametric equations. It is found by taking the cross product of the tangent vector and the vector that points towards the center of the epicycloid.

3. What is the importance of the unit normal for an epicycloid?

The unit normal for an epicycloid is important in understanding the behavior and properties of the curve. It can help in determining the curvature, direction, and orientation of the curve at any given point.

4. Can the unit normal for an epicycloid change along the curve?

Yes, the unit normal for an epicycloid can change along the curve as the curvature and direction of the curve changes. This is why it is calculated at each point along the curve.

5. How is the unit normal for an epicycloid used in real-world applications?

The unit normal for an epicycloid is used in many applications, such as in mechanical engineering, robotics, and animation. It helps in designing gears, cams, and other rotating mechanisms. It is also used in computer graphics to create realistic and accurate animations of rotating objects.