Unit Normal Vector: (2,4,-1) at (2,1,4)

In summary, the student is trying to find the unit normal vector to the surface z = 2xy at (2, 1, 4). They found that if they calculate F(x, y, z) = 2xy- z then \nabla F= 2y\vec{i}+ 2x\vec{j}- \vec{k} is normal to the surface. However, they ran into trouble when trying to take the derivative of the normal vector. They found that if they use the general formula for the normal unit vector for that particular surface, N(t) = T'(t)/|T'(t)| where T(t) = r'(t)/|r'(
string_656

Homework Statement

Find unit normal vector to the surface z = 2xy at (2,1,4)

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

fx = 2y
fx(2,1,4)=2
fy = 2x
fy = 4

= (2,4,-1)

is this correct? and in the right format?

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks good to me so far. I don't believe that is a "unit" normal vector yet.

unit mormal vector is given by N(t) = T'(t)/|T'(t)| where T(t) = r'(t)/|r'(t)|, and i think in this case r(t) = 2i +4j - 1k. so I am a bit stuck because it will just end up being zero?

why would it be zero?

the i component of your normal unit vector that I got is (2/sqrt(21))i

umm ok?.. so r(t) = 2(t)i +4(t)j - 1(t)k
so you went, r'(t) = 2 + 4 - 1
and... |r'(t)| = (sqrt(21)
so T(t) = 2/(sqrt(21)i + 4/(sqrt(21)j - 1/(sqrt(21)k...?

T'(t) = 0
|T'(t)| = 0
N(t) = 0??

Thanks for the help by the way.

string_656 said:
umm ok?.. so r(t) = 2(t)i +4(t)j - 1(t)k
so you went, r'(t) = 2 + 4 - 1
and... |r'(t)| = (sqrt(21)
so T(t) = 2/(sqrt(21)i + 4/(sqrt(21)j - 1/(sqrt(21)k...?

T'(t) = 0
|T'(t)| = 0
N(t) = 0??

Thanks for the help by the way.
What are you calculating here? You originally asked for the unit normal vector to z= 2xy at (2, 1, 4). Okay if you write [itex]F(x,y,z)= 2xy- z[/itex] then [itex]\nabla F= 2y\vec{i}+ 2x\vec{j}- \vec{k}[/itex] is normal to the surface. At (2, 1, 4), that is [itex]2\vec{i}+ 4\vec{j}- \vec{k}[/math]. That is not a "unit" vector because it has length [itex]\sqrt{2^2+ 4^2+ 1^2}= \sqrt{21}[/math].

The unit normal vector is
(2/sqrt{21})i+ (4/sqrt{21})j- (1/sqrt{21})k.
(For some reason I simply cannot get the LaTex to show this correctly.)

I have no idea why you are now trying to take the derivative of the normal vector.

Last edited by a moderator:
well that's what I am not sure about. The book states that the "normal unit vector" is defined as N(t) = T'(t)/|T'(t)|
where T(t) = r'(t)/|r'(t)|

the textbook uses 1 example (its very brief about this topic), but it uses cos, and sin. so constantly differentiating them dosn't reduce it to 0.

they used, r(t) = cos(t)i+ sin(t)j + (t)k,
r'(t) = -sin(t)i+ cos(t)j + k
|r'(t)| = sqrt(2) ------->(No idea how its the root of 2)
... and so on. for T'(t)...
untill they get N(t) = -cos(t)i - sin(t)j - 0k
= (-cos(t), -sin(t), 0)

am i making a mistake when defining my r(t)?

It looks as though they found some general formula for the normal unit vector for that particular surface.

If that is true, then you should be able to the same and then plug in the appropriate values at some point.

I have never seen that before so I am no help, I'm sorry.

but, I have seen problems exactly like your question before and working them the way you did in post #1 works great (with the addition of finding the unit vector)! If this is for a class, I would ask the prof/etc. about what is expected. When I took the class pertaining to this, this was how I was taught.

1. What is a unit normal vector?

A unit normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to a given surface at a specific point and has a length of 1. It is used in mathematics and physics to determine the slope, direction, and orientation of a surface at a particular point.

2. How is the unit normal vector calculated?

The unit normal vector is calculated by finding the cross product of two tangent vectors on the surface at a specific point and then normalizing the resulting vector to have a length of 1.

3. What is the significance of the unit normal vector?

The unit normal vector is significant because it helps determine the direction and orientation of a surface at a particular point. It is also used in vector calculus to calculate the gradient, divergence, and curl of a vector field.

4. How is the unit normal vector used in physics?

In physics, the unit normal vector is used in the calculation of surface integrals, which are important in determining the flux of a vector field through a surface. It is also used in the calculation of surface area and surface curvature.

5. Is the unit normal vector unique for a given surface?

Yes, the unit normal vector is unique for a given surface at a specific point. However, it may vary at different points on the surface, depending on the shape and orientation of the surface at those points.