1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit normal vector

1. Oct 15, 2013 #1
    I have seen different equations for computing the unit normal vector to a surface. What is the difference between the normal vector ##N## of a curve and ##n##. I have seen this formula for a unit normal vector: ##n = \frac{x_1 \times x_2}{|x_1 \times x_2|}##. Which is different from ##N##. For example,

Let ##f(u,v)=(u,v,h(u,v))## be a parametrization of the graph ##T_h## of ##h:\mathbb{R}^2\to \mathbb{R}##. Compute a unit normal vector to ##T_h##.

How can I compute this unit normal vector?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use the gradient of f(u,v) to determine N. Then divide N by its magnitude to get n. Check your calculus text for a discussion of the gradient and how it is related to the normal vector.

4. Oct 15, 2013 #3
    I don't have a calculus text. This class is differential geometry.

But will it just be ##n = \frac{x_u(u_0,v_0) \times x_v(u_0,v_0)}{||x_u(u_0,v_0) \times x_v(u_0,v_0)||}?##

5. Oct 15, 2013 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

That's correct. The tangent vectors of the coordinate lines are [itex]\partial_u \vec{x}[/itex] and [itex]\partial_v \vec{x}[/itex] if [itex]\vec{x}(u,v)[/itex] is the parametrization of your surface. The surface normal vector is given by their cross product, and then you normalize it.

BTS: the surface-element vectors are
    [tex]\mathrm{d}^2 \vec{F}=\mathrm{d} u \, \mathrm{d} v \; \partial_{u} \vec{x} \times \partial_{v} \vec{x}.[/tex]

You can simplify this a bit for your case, where
    [tex]\vec{x}=u \vec{e}_x + v \vec{e}_y + h(u,v) \vec{e}_z.[/tex]

6. Oct 15, 2013 #5
    Thanks vanhees71.

I got my normal vector to be ##\frac{\langle f_x , f_y, -1 \rangle}{\sqrt{f_x^2+f_y^2+1}}.## Is that correct?

7. Oct 15, 2013 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I get the opposite sign.

8. Oct 15, 2013 #7
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted