Compute Unit Normal Vector to Surface: Difference b/w N & n

In summary, the conversation discusses different equations for computing the unit normal vector to a surface, specifically the difference between the normal vector N of a curve and n. The formula for a unit normal vector is n = (x1 x x2) / |x1 x x2|, and it is different from N. A parametrization of the graph Th is given by f(u,v) = (u,v,h(u,v)), and to compute a unit normal vector for Th, one can use the gradient of f(u,v) to determine N and then divide by its magnitude to get n. It is suggested to refer to a calculus text for a discussion on the gradient and its relation to the normal vector. The conversation also mentions that
Lee33
I have seen different equations for computing the unit normal vector to a surface. What is the difference between the normal vector ##N## of a curve and ##n##. I have seen this formula for a unit normal vector: ##n = \frac{x_1 \times x_2}{|x_1 \times x_2|}##. Which is different from ##N##. For example,

Let ##f(u,v)=(u,v,h(u,v))## be a parametrization of the graph ##T_h## of ##h:\mathbb{R}^2\to \mathbb{R}##. Compute a unit normal vector to ##T_h##.

How can I compute this unit normal vector?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the gradient of f(u,v) to determine N. Then divide N by its magnitude to get n. Check your calculus text for a discussion of the gradient and how it is related to the normal vector.

I don't have a calculus text. This class is differential geometry.

But will it just be ##n = \frac{x_u(u_0,v_0) \times x_v(u_0,v_0)}{||x_u(u_0,v_0) \times x_v(u_0,v_0)||}?##

That's correct. The tangent vectors of the coordinate lines are [itex]\partial_u \vec{x}[/itex] and [itex]\partial_v \vec{x}[/itex] if [itex]\vec{x}(u,v)[/itex] is the parametrization of your surface. The surface normal vector is given by their cross product, and then you normalize it.

BTS: the surface-element vectors are
[tex]\mathrm{d}^2 \vec{F}=\mathrm{d} u \, \mathrm{d} v \; \partial_{u} \vec{x} \times \partial_{v} \vec{x}.[/tex]

You can simplify this a bit for your case, where
[tex]\vec{x}=u \vec{e}_x + v \vec{e}_y + h(u,v) \vec{e}_z.[/tex]

Thanks vanhees71.

I got my normal vector to be ##\frac{\langle f_x , f_y, -1 \rangle}{\sqrt{f_x^2+f_y^2+1}}.## Is that correct?

I get the opposite sign.

Likes 1 person
Thank you!

1. What is the difference between capital N and lowercase n when computing the unit normal vector to a surface?

Capital N typically refers to the normal vector of a surface, while lowercase n refers to the unit normal vector. The unit normal vector is a normalized version of the normal vector, meaning it has a magnitude of 1 and is used to determine the direction of the surface's normal.

2. How is the unit normal vector to a surface calculated?

The unit normal vector to a surface is calculated by taking the cross product of two tangent vectors on the surface and then normalizing the resulting vector. This calculation can be done using the partial derivatives of the surface's equation.

3. Can the unit normal vector to a surface change at different points on the surface?

Yes, the unit normal vector can change at different points on the surface. This is because the tangent vectors used in the calculation of the unit normal vector can change at different points on the surface.

4. Why is the unit normal vector important in surface computations?

The unit normal vector is important in surface computations because it helps determine the orientation of the surface and is used in various calculations, such as lighting and shading in 3D graphics. It is also crucial in determining the direction of the surface's normal for physical calculations, such as determining the force exerted on an object on the surface.

5. Are there any special cases where the unit normal vector cannot be calculated?

Yes, there are special cases where the unit normal vector cannot be calculated. For example, if the surface is not smooth or has sharp edges, the tangent vectors used in the calculation may not exist. Additionally, if the surface is self-intersecting, the unit normal vector cannot be determined at the points of intersection.