Unit of Ring Question - Cbarker1

• MHB
  • Thread starter cbarker1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring Unit
In summary, in order to prove that $-u$ is a unit in $R$, you need to show that there exists an element $v\in R$ such that $v(-u)=(-u)v=1$. This can be done by using the fact that any $x,y\in R$, $(-x)y=x(-y)=-xy$ and $(-x)(-y)=xy$.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
Dear Everyone,

I am having trouble with an exercise problem. Here is the problem: Dummit and Foote Ed.2 pg 231: "Let $R$ be a ring with 1. Prove that if $u$ is a unit in R then so is $-u$."

My Attempt:

Suppose $u$ is a unit in $R$. Then, from Prop 1 (4) (if $R$ has an identity, then the identity is unique and $-1a=-a$), let $a=u$. Then $-u$ is in $R$. QED

What did I do wrong and/or correct? Thanks,
Cbarker1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cbarker1 said:
Dear Everyone,

I am having trouble with an exercise problem. Here is the problem: Dummit and Foote Ed.2 pg 231: "Let $R$ be a ring with 1. Prove that if $u$ is a unit in R then so is $-u$."

My Attempt:

Suppose $u$ is a unit in $R$. Then, from Prop 1 (4) (if $R$ has an identity, then the identity is unique and $-1a=-a$), let $a=u$. Then $-u$ is in $R$. QED

What did I do wrong and/or correct? Thanks,
Cbarker1

What you have shown is that $-u$ is in the ring. That is clear since ring is closed under multiplication. What you need to show is that $-u$ has a multiplicative inverse in $R$, that is, you need to show the existence of an element $a\in R$ such that $(-u)\cdot a=1$.

Hi Cbarker1.

You have to show that there is some element $v\in R$ such that $v(-u)=(-u)v=1$.

Now if $u$ is a unit in $R$ then there is some element $w\in R$ such that $wu=uw=1$. I’ll let you carry on from there. (Hint: use the fact that for any $x,y\in R$, $(-x)y=x(-y)=-xy$ and $(-x)(-y)=xy$.)

1. What is the "Unit of Ring Question - Cbarker1"?

The "Unit of Ring Question - Cbarker1" is a hypothetical unit created by user Cbarker1 for the purpose of scientific experimentation and discussion.

2. How is the "Unit of Ring Question - Cbarker1" used in scientific research?

The "Unit of Ring Question - Cbarker1" is not a commonly used unit in scientific research. It is primarily used as a hypothetical unit for theoretical discussions and thought experiments.

3. Is the "Unit of Ring Question - Cbarker1" recognized by any scientific organizations?

No, the "Unit of Ring Question - Cbarker1" is not recognized by any scientific organizations as a standard unit of measurement.

4. Can the "Unit of Ring Question - Cbarker1" be converted into other units of measurement?

Since the "Unit of Ring Question - Cbarker1" is a hypothetical unit, it cannot be converted into other units of measurement. It is not based on any physical quantity or measurement.

5. Why did Cbarker1 create the "Unit of Ring Question - Cbarker1"?

Cbarker1 created the "Unit of Ring Question - Cbarker1" as a way to spark discussion and thought experiments within the scientific community. It is not meant to be a serious unit of measurement, but rather a tool for exploring scientific concepts and theories.