1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit Proof

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let R be a ring and x in R such that x^n=0 for some n show that 1 + x is a unit.

I know then that x is a zero divisor and I need to find y such that y(1+x) = 1.
    I can see in examples that this works and I can prove it for Z mod n. I cant figure out how to prove it for any ring. Please help
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If there exist n such that xn, there exist a smallest such n. Assume, without loss of generality that n is the smallest number such that xn= 0. If n= 1, then x= 0, x+1= 1 which is a unit. If n> 1, then xn-1 is not 0. Let u= xn-1. Then u(1+ x)= xn-1+ xn= xn-1= u. Does that lead anywhere? In particular is u a unit?

4. Sep 30, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You probably know that you can write 1/(1+x) formally as a power series, 1-x+x^2-x^3+... If x^n=0, that series terminates. Can you show that it's true that (1+x)*(1-x+x^2-...x^(n-1))=1?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?