Proving 1+x is a Unit in a Ring for x^n=0

• Thread starter ksk104
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring Unit
In summary, if R is a ring and x is an element in R such that x^n=0 for some n, then 1+x is a unit. This can be seen through examples and proven for Z mod n, but the proof for any ring is still unknown. It can be shown that (1+x)*(1-x+x^2-...x^(n-1))=1, which supports the idea that 1+x is a unit.
ksk104

Homework Statement

Let R be a ring and x in R such that x^n=0 for some n show that 1 + x is a unit.

I know then that x is a zero divisor and I need to find y such that y(1+x) = 1.
I can see in examples that this works and I can prove it for Z mod n. I can't figure out how to prove it for any ring. Please help
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If there exist n such that xn, there exist a smallest such n. Assume, without loss of generality that n is the smallest number such that xn= 0. If n= 1, then x= 0, x+1= 1 which is a unit. If n> 1, then xn-1 is not 0. Let u= xn-1. Then u(1+ x)= xn-1+ xn= xn-1= u. Does that lead anywhere? In particular is u a unit?

You probably know that you can write 1/(1+x) formally as a power series, 1-x+x^2-x^3+... If x^n=0, that series terminates. Can you show that it's true that (1+x)*(1-x+x^2-...x^(n-1))=1?

1. What is a unit in a ring?

A unit in a ring is an element that has a multiplicative inverse. In other words, it is an element that, when multiplied by another element, results in the identity element (usually denoted as 1).

2. Why is it important to prove that 1+x is a unit in a ring?

Proving that 1+x is a unit in a ring is important because it helps us understand the structure and properties of the ring. It also allows us to perform operations such as division, which is essential in many mathematical applications.

3. How do you prove that 1+x is a unit in a ring for x^n=0?

To prove that 1+x is a unit in a ring for x^n=0, we need to show that it has a multiplicative inverse. This can be done by finding an element y such that (1+x)y = 1. We can then use the given condition x^n=0 to simplify the expression and solve for y.

4. What is the significance of x^n=0 in proving 1+x is a unit in a ring?

The condition x^n=0 is significant because it helps us simplify the expression (1+x)y = 1 and solve for y. It also ensures that the multiplicative inverse of 1+x exists in the ring.

5. Can you provide an example of proving 1+x is a unit in a ring for x^n=0?

For example, let's consider the ring of integers modulo 6, denoted as Z/6Z. We want to prove that 1+x is a unit for all elements x in this ring such that x^n=0. Let's take x=2. We can see that (1+2)(1+4) = 1, which means that the multiplicative inverse of 1+2 is 1+4. This can be verified by multiplying (1+2)(1+4) and simplifying using the condition x^n=0. Therefore, we have proven that 1+2 is a unit in Z/6Z for x^n=0.