1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit speed curves

1. Oct 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let ##\alpha(s)## and ##\beta(s)## be two unit speed curves and assume that ##\kappa_{\alpha}(s)=\kappa_{\beta}(s)## and ##\tau_{\alpha}(s)=\tau_{\beta}(s)##, where ##\kappa## and ##\tau## are respectively the curvature and torsion. Let ##J(s) = T_{\alpha}(s)\dot\ T_{\beta}(s)+N_{\alpha}(s) \dot\ N_{\beta}(s) +B_{\alpha}(s) \dot\ B_{\beta}(s).##

Show that:

##J(0)=3## and ##J(s)=3## implies that the Frenet frames of ##\alpha## and ##\beta## agree at ##s##

##J'(s) = 0## and ##\alpha(s) = \beta(s)## for all ##s##.

2. Relevant equations

Frenet frames

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first question, I know that the Frenet frame vectors $T,B,N$ are unit vectors but how can I formally prove the given statement?

I know for the second statement that ##J'(s) = 0## everywhere implies that the Frenet frames agree and since ##\alpha## and ##\beta## are unit speed, they are equal to the integral of their tangent vector. Also, how can I formally prove this second part?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For any two vectors v.w=|v||w|cos(θ). If v and w are unit vectors then that's less than one unless the vectors are parallel. So?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  4. Oct 1, 2013 #3
    Dick -

If they are unit vectors and are parallel then there dot product is 1.

5. Oct 1, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The point is the dot product is ONLY 1 if they are parallel, otherwise it's less. You have three of them summing to 3. So?

6. Oct 1, 2013 #5
    Since they sum to 3 they are parallel hence their dot product equals 1.

Is it really that simple or am I missing something?

7. Oct 1, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, I think it's really that simple.

8. Oct 2, 2013 #7
    Thanks Dick!

For D(s), is it essentially the same thing?

9. Oct 2, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's D(s)? Look, if J(s)=3 then all three Frenet frame vectors must be equal in ##\alpha## and ##\beta##, yes? Am I missing something?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  10. Oct 2, 2013 #9
    Opps, I meant J(s), sorry about that. But yes they will be equal, thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted