1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit Square & Outer Content

1. Sep 6, 2013 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let ##S = \{ (x,y) \space | \space x=\frac{1}{n}, n = 1, 2, 3,... \}## be a subset of the unit square.

Prove ##S## has outer content zero.

2. Relevant equations

##C(S) = inf\{ \sum A_i \} = inf\{Area(P)\}##

3. The attempt at a solution

There are no answers I can check my work with so I don't know if this is okay. So I started drawing everything out ( really crowded drawing ) and I believe I know what I need to do.

##\forall ε > 0##, pick an ##N## such that ##\frac{1}{N} < \frac{ε}{2}##.

Then for ##n>N##, each line ##x = \frac{1}{n}## that I draw for ##n = 1, 2, 3...## will be inside a rectangle with coordinates ##[0, \frac{1}{N}] \times [0,1]## ( y only goes up to 1 because this is the unit square ).

For ##n ≤ N## and ##δ > 0##, choose an interval ##[\frac{1}{n} - δ, \frac{1}{n} + δ]## such that ##2Nδ < \frac{ε}{2} \Rightarrow δ < \frac{ε}{4N}##.

Now partition the unit square with a line at ##x = 0## ( Since ##n≠0## ) and then more lines at ##x = \frac{1}{n} ± δ## yielding a messy looking mesh by now. Lets call this partition ##P##. Then ##Area(P)## depends only on portions of the partition containing points from ##S##.

Therefore ##Area(P) = \frac{1}{N} + 2Nδ < \frac{ε}{2} + \frac{2Nε}{4N} = ε##.

Hence ##C(S) = inf\{Area(P)\} < ε, \forall ε > 0## so that ##C(S) = 0##.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a little hard to read, but I think you've got the right idea. Draw a small rectangle including an infinite number of segments near x=0 and then bracket the remaining finite number of segments with very small rectangles. Seems pretty ok to me.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  4. Sep 7, 2013 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Thanks for the suggestion Dick, that makes it feel a little more rigorous. I was worried I would never see if I had the right idea or not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted