1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit step function transform

1. Aug 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the laplace transform of u(-t)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For u(t), the laplace transform of it is 1/s, basically taking the integral of e^-st from 0 to infinity.

In this case, since the unit step function approaches from the negative side, do I just take the integral of e^(-st), but switch the limit (from infinity to 0) for the purpose of transformation, leaving with -1/s?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

What is the value of u(-t) for t>0... what does that say about the integral of u(-t)*[e^(-st)]?

4. Aug 14, 2007 #3
    u(-t) for t > 0 is equal to 0, does that immediately lead to the conclusion that the transformation of u(-t) = 0? What if t < 0?

5. Aug 14, 2007 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Yes, though a function can be 0 for t>0, but still have non-zero laplace transform... like the unit impulse function... but that's because the value at 0 is infinite... the laplace transform is defined from 0- (a value slightly less than 0) to infinity to include what happens at t=0... what happens for t<0 doesn't matter... but what happens at zero does matter.

But for u(-t) the value at t=0 is finite... so the integral is 0.

Hope I'm not missing anything... I think this is all true...

This is all for one-sided laplace transforms... two-sided is different...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?