Unit Vector Geometry: Find u.v & u.w

There are many different unit vectors, including all of the ones you listed. Another example of a unit vector is <1/√2, 1/√2, 0>. To solve this problem, you need to find the dot products u\cdotv and u\cdotw, where u, v, and w are all unit vectors. Since they are unit vectors, they all have length 1. The dot product of two vectors is defined as |u||v|cosθ, where θ is the angle between the two vectors. In this case, since the triangle is equilateral, the angle between any two of these vectors is 60°. So the dot products are simply |u||v
knowLittle

Homework Statement

If u is a unit vector, find u.v and u.w

Homework Equations

I assumed that unit vector means u=<1,1,1>
u.v=|u||v|cos60
My knowledge of unit vectors is very limited. I know that a unit vector is
i=<1,0,0>
j=<0,1,0>
k=<0,0,1>

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the triangle is isoceles. |u|=|v|
u.v=(sqrt(3)+sqrt(3) )cos60=-3.29925

Is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
An image of the above problem has been attached.

Attachments

• gra.bmp
    158.3 KB · Views: 1,276
Can someone answer?

knowLittle said:

Homework Statement

If u is a unit vector, find u.v and u.w

Homework Equations

I assumed that unit vector means u=<1,1,1>
No, this is not a unit vector. It's not a unit vector because its length is not 1. (Its length is √3.)
knowLittle said:
u.v=|u||v|cos60
My knowledge of unit vectors is very limited. I know that a unit vector is
i=<1,0,0>
j=<0,1,0>
k=<0,0,1>
Yes, these are three unit vectors, but a unit vector can point in any direction, not just in the direction of the axes.
knowLittle said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the triangle is isoceles. |u|=|v|
u.v=(sqrt(3)+sqrt(3) )cos60=-3.29925

Is this correct?

Last edited:
I thought that the vectors shown in my graph could be considered as forming a triangle.

The graph is attached, after the first post.

I'm confused. Your drawing shows tickmarks on all three sides, which implies that all three are equal in length and that the triangel is equilateral. In post #1, you say that the triangle is isosceles, which implies that only two sides are equal. Which is it?

I'm sorry, it's an equilateral triangle. The graph is correct. The problem does not state anything other than what is shown in the graph and the first post.

Last edited:
Your sketch is NOT correct if the triangle is only isosceles. The tickmarks on all thee sides imply that it is equilateral, which is different from being isosceles.

Are you given that all three sides are equal in length? If so, then stating that the triangle is isosceles confuses the matter.

You are right, it's equilateral.

OK, we're finally getting somewhere. If u is a unit vector, then so are v and w.

Another formulation for the dot product is u[itex]\cdot[/itex]v = |u||v|cosθ. In this case, θ is 60°, as are the other two interior angles.

So what do you get for u[itex]\cdot[/itex]v and u[itex]\cdot[/itex]w?

u.v= (u^2)cos60=u^2(1/2)

u.w=(u^2)cos60=(u^2)1/2

knowLittle said:
u.v= (u^2)cos60=u^2(1/2)

u.w=(u^2)cos60=(u^2)1/2
No. Do you understand what the term unit vector means?

Also, what does u2 even mean for a vector?

I wrote u^2, but I meant |u^2|. I realize that there's no multiplication of vectors.

I don't think I know, what a unit vector means. I know that a unit vector is (vector/|vector|), but that's it.

knowLittle said:
I wrote u^2, but I meant |u^2|. I realize that there's no multiplication of vectors.
That still doesn't make any sense, because you are multiplying a vector by itself, and then taking the magnitude of the result.

This makes more sense: |u|2, the square of the magnitude of vector u.
knowLittle said:
I don't think I know, what a unit vector means. I know that a unit vector is (vector/|vector|), but that's it.
If there's something you don't know, your very first impulse should be to find out how it is defined. Math books are careful to define the terms they use very precisely. A unit vector is any vector whose length is 1. That's why they call it a unit vector - the word "unit" implies "oneness".

1. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector that has a magnitude of 1. In other words, it is a vector with a length of 1 unit.

2. How do you find the dot product of two vectors?

To find the dot product of two vectors, you multiply the corresponding components of each vector and then add the products together. The result is a scalar value.

3. What is the significance of unit vectors in geometry?

Unit vectors are significant in geometry because they provide a way to represent direction without the influence of magnitude. This allows for simpler calculations and equations.

4. How do you find the unit vector of a given vector?

To find the unit vector of a given vector, you divide each component of the vector by its magnitude. The resulting vector will have a magnitude of 1 and represent the same direction as the original vector.

5. How can unit vectors be used in real-world applications?

Unit vectors have many real-world applications, such as in navigation, physics, and computer graphics. They are also used in vector calculus to simplify calculations and in engineering to represent forces and motion.