1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit Vector Notation help?

1. Sep 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A steel ball is fired from a ballistic launcher at different angles. The launched ball has been found to travel from the edge of a table to land 30.0 cm from the far end of the table when starting from the height of the table and launched at an angle of 30.0◦ above the horizontal. When launched at 45.0◦ , the ball easily clears the table to land on the floor.
    Letting the edge of the table from which the ball was launched have coordinates (x(0),y(0))=(0,0), write an expression for the x and y components of the object’s position vector. Next, write an expression for the full position vector.
    I am trying to figure out how to write this expression. Underneath this explanation on my sheet I have a rx,30◦=x30◦=______, and a ry,30◦=y30◦=_______ and below that r(with -> on top)30◦(t)=______. I am confused as to write this, including the i-hats and j-hats unit vectors.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand the break down such as A = Ax + Ay = Axi + Ayj and so on, but where to put the numbers 0 and such are confusing me. I hope this format is correct for the forum!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

First write the expression in x, then in y, then combine both using ##\hat{\imath}## and ##\hat{\jmath}##.

If you start with the individual components, you won't have to worry aobut the zeros. But you can also write a zero as ##0\hat{\imath} + 0\hat{\jmath}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted