1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit Vector notation?

1. Sep 27, 2009 #1
    Unit Vector notation??

The vector position of a particle varies in time according to the expression r = (3.0i +6.0j)m

Find expressions for velocity and acceleration as functions of time.

I have NO IDEA HOW TO DO THIS.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2009 #2
    Re: Unit Vector notation??

Does the variable m stand for time in this problem..? Do you know how to differentiate? Velocity is the position function's rate of change, and acceleration is the velocity function's rate of change.

4. Sep 27, 2009 #3

m was meters, what confused me was that there was no variable given for time, by standard we use "t" in class and this position vector had no variable for time so I couldn't differentiate :/ Do you think maybe my teacher made an error typing the worksheet? I dont think there is enought information given only that position vector.

5. Sep 27, 2009 #4

Well I guess technically the velocity and acceleration are zero if your position is a constant. Seems odd that you would be asked that though.

6. Sep 27, 2009 #5

Yeah, thank you for your help, I agree lol

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook