1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit Vector

1. May 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given vector OP = 2i+3j, OQ = qi+2qj. How can i find the possible value for q?
    note that PQ is a unit vector.

2. Relevant equations

Given (p-1)i + (2p-6)j having magnitude 10, find p

3. The attempt at a solution

From the formula, i was told that the unit vector can be obtain by dividing the vector by the modulus it self, however i have no idea how to apply that concept into 2 different vector, since the answer wasn`t correct when i tried them. please help me on this, thanks in advanced

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

So what are the coordinates of PQ? You have OP and OQ, so you should be able to find PQ.

Once you have found PQ, figure out what q needs to be so that PQ is a unit vector.

This part -- Given (p-1)i + (2p-6)j having magnitude 10, find p -- is a separate problem, right? How you have presented these problems is confusing.

4. May 4, 2012 #3
    it is actually hint given to me as how that i`m going to solve the q part, where it is also having two vector with one of it having p variable. i have no idea how it works either. as for the PQ, the question doesn`t state whether its P to Q or Q to P. so it is safe for me to take it as P to Q?

5. May 4, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

PQ means from P to Q. If the question asked for the vector from Q to P, they would have specified QP.

6. May 4, 2012 #5
    ok, thanks

7. May 4, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By the way, Eryk: Welcome to PF !

8. May 5, 2012 #7

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook