1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit Vector

1. Feb 13, 2014 #1
    Hi everyone,

Just wanna know how does the the unit vector become in that form:

[itex]\vec{n}=\frac{2x\vec{i}+2y\vec{j}}{\sqrt{(2x)^{2}+(2y)^{2}}}=\frac{x \vec{i}+y \vec{j}}{4}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2014 #2

olivermsun

Science Advisor

Check your definition of "unit vector." :wink:

4. Feb 13, 2014 #3
    As far as I know, the unit vector or the normal vector is the vector divided by its magnitude.

But that's not what I need to know, what I need to know is the manipulation that occurred.

[itex]\vec{n}=\frac{2x\vec{i}+2y\vec{j}}{\sqrt{(2x)^{2}+(2y)^{2}}}=\frac{2(x \vec{i}+y\vec{j})}{\sqrt{4(x^{2}+y^{2}})}=\frac{2(x \vec{i}+y\vec{j})}{2\sqrt{(x^{2}+y^{2}})}=\frac{x \vec{i}+y\vec{j}}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}}[/itex]

That's my best. :Z

5. Feb 13, 2014 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Derivation is correct.

6. Feb 13, 2014 #5
    But how did it end up like this form: [itex]\frac{x \vec{i}+y \vec{j}}{4}[/itex]

And I've found something similar in Thomas Calculus:
    wCpvMCp.jpg

Is [itex]y^{2} + z^{2}[/itex] equal to 1 or something? much like [itex]sin^{2}\theta + cos^{2}\theta = 1 [/itex]

7. Feb 13, 2014 #6

olivermsun

Science Advisor

You're looking for "the" unit normal vector. Normal to what?

8. Feb 14, 2014 #7
    Normal to the surface [itex]2x+3y+6z=12[/itex]

9. Feb 14, 2014 #8

olivermsun

Science Advisor

Okay, but clearly that isn't where the gradient in the original post came from. So if you want to know what happened in post #3 (why x2 + y2 = 1) then you need to state the original problem.

10. Feb 14, 2014 #9
    Sorry, that's not the correct surface, but the surface is [itex]x^{2}+y^{2}=16[/itex].
    But I think I've got the idea:
    [itex]\vec{n}=\frac{x\vec{i}+y \vec{j}}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}}=\frac{x\vec{i}+y\vec{j}}{\sqrt{16}}=\frac{x\vec{i}+y\vec{j}}{4}[/itex]

right?

11. Feb 14, 2014 #10

olivermsun

Science Advisor

:thumbs:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook