1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit Vector

1. Oct 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known dat

A car travels 20 mi at 60 degrees north of west, then 35 mi at 45 degrees north of east.

Express each displacement vector in unit vector notation. Take the +x-axis due east and the +y-axis due north. Use the component method to obtain the resultant displacement vector in unit vector notation.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\ A = \ A_x i + \ A_y j[/tex]
    [tex]\ B = \ B_x i + \ B_y j[/tex]
    [tex]\ C = \ C_x i + \ C_y j[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

A= -20sin60i+35cos60j
    B=35cos45i+20sin45
    C=?

How do I find C, since no lengths were given. Did I do A and B correctly?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The solutions look incorrect so far. For A, both the x and y components involve the 20 mile displacement, and for B, both the x and y components involve the 35 mile displacement. Also, can you show a sketch that shows how you determine when to use the cos() and when to use the sin() to find the components on the x & y axes?

Finally, you are indeed given the lengths of 20 and 35 miles, so you will be able to calculate the sum vector C = A + B. :smile:

4. Oct 13, 2015 #3

berkeman

Also, you can't reduce the vector components down to a single scalar number "7.5". Vectors have a magnitude and a displacement, and can be expressed as that two number combination, or in rectangular component form. Are you familiar with how to convert between those two forms?

5. Oct 13, 2015 #4
    Oh yes you are right. But are the sin and cos right?

I do not know to convert to rectangular component form. I think we are suppose to put it in unit vector notation.

Attached Files:

6. Oct 13, 2015 #5

berkeman

7. Oct 18, 2015 #6
    Okay I redid everything and found:

A=20cos60i+20sin60j
    B=35cos45i+35sin45j
    C=(-20cos60+35cos45)i+(20sin60+35sin45)j

Did I do all the trig stuff right? I am suppose to find the magnitude too which I found was 97.62.

8. Oct 19, 2015 #7
    Bump.

9. Oct 20, 2015 #8

berkeman

I believe there is a sign error in this equation... :smile:

10. Oct 20, 2015 #9

Mister T

Science Advisor

Would it make any difference in your solution if the direction of ##\mathrm{\vec{A}}## were instead 60° north of east?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  11. Oct 20, 2015 #10
    Oh I fixed it. I think I understand everything now. But I want to make sure, C is the resultant right? Because C is technically R.

Yes because that would change the problem entirely.

12. Oct 20, 2015 #11

berkeman

Could you show your work for the final answer for C? Thanks, that will help us answer...

13. Oct 20, 2015 #12

berkeman

He's just seconding my comment about the sign error... :smile:

14. Oct 20, 2015 #13

Mister T

Science Advisor

The problem statement doesn't specify. It was you who chose ##\mathrm{\vec{A}}## to represent one of the two given vectors and ##\mathrm{\vec{B}}## the other. Likewise you are free to choose ##\mathrm{\vec{C}}## or ##\mathrm{\vec{R}}## as their sum.

If ##\mathrm{\vec{C}}## is your choice, then you'd write ##\mathrm{\vec{A}+\vec{B}=\vec C}##.

If ##\mathrm{\vec{R}}## is your choice, then you'd write ##\mathrm{\vec{A}+\vec{B}=\vec R}##.

The term "resultant" has the same meaning as "vector sum".

15. Oct 20, 2015 #14

Mister T

Science Advisor

No, you are not supposed to find the magnitude. You are supposed to express the result in unit vector notation.

16. Oct 20, 2015 #15
    There was no C. I figured that out. I was confused because in his example he kept saying R=A+B+C. But since I was only given two vectors it would be R=A+B. I found R=14.75i+42.07j. The magnitude is 44.58 mi at [itex]70.68^o[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted