Unit Vectors and Momentum Changes in a Block of Ice

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a 0.5 kg block of ice sliding on a slippery floor is given a kick perpendicular to its path, causing it to change direction by 24 degrees. The conversation also explores concepts such as momentum, impulse, and unit vectors in relation to this scenario. The final questions ask about the components and magnitude of the block's momentum after the kick.
Troi Jones

Homework Statement

A 0.5 kg block of ice is sliding by you on a very slippery floor at 2.5 m/s. As it goes by, you give it a kick perpendicular to its path. Your foot is in contact with the ice block for 0.0035 seconds. The block eventually slides at an angle of 24 degrees from its original direction (labeled θ in the diagram). The overhead view shown in the diagram is approximately to scale. The arrow represents the average force your toe applies briefly to the block of ice. (Only components involved are x and z, as shown in the picture.)

Homework Equations

delta p= Fnet*delta t
p= m*v
Pythagorean theorem possibly?
Trigonometry

The Attempt at a Solution

Which components of the block's momentum are changed by the impulse applied by your foot? (Check all that apply. The diagram shows a top view, looking down on the xzplane.)[/B]
Its the z component that only changes. The kick was perpendicular to the momentum in the + x direction, so x is not effected.

What is the unit vector in the direction of the block's momentum after the kick?

Not really sure what this question is saying. I know that in the vector the x component will be positive and the z component will be negative, but I'm lost of how to find the momentum for z...What is the x-component of the block's momentum after the kick?
Stated earlier, x component wasn't affected, so the momentum is still 1.25 kg*m/s

Remember that
parrowitalic.gif
= |
parrowitalic.gif
|p̂. What is the magnitude of the block's momentum after the kick?

Can't do this problem without that unit vector in question 2

Use your answers to the preceding questions to find the z-component of the block's momentum after the kick (drawing a diagram is helpful):

pfz = ? kg · m/s

What was the magnitude of the average force you applied to the block?

|
Farrowitalic.gif
avg| = ? N

It be much obliged to have some guidance to solve the questions that are blank

Attachments

• parrowitalic.gif
    parrowitalic.gif
    83 bytes · Views: 930
  • parrowitalic.gif
    parrowitalic.gif
    83 bytes · Views: 920
  • Farrowitalic.gif
    Farrowitalic.gif
    80 bytes · Views: 943
Physics news on Phys.org
Troi Jones said:
... (labeled θ in the diagram). The overhead view shown in the diagram is approximately to scale.
What diagram? What picture?

kuruman said:
What diagram? What picture?
iceblock_2.P.068.jpg
sorry though I posted it. The correct diagram to look at is B

Attachments

• iceblock_2.P.068.jpg
    iceblock_2.P.068.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 666
Troi Jones said:
Not really sure what this question is saying. I know that in the vector the x component will be positive and the z component will be negative, but I'm lost of how to find the momentum for z...
You are asked to find a vector of magnitude 1 that points at angle θ below the positive x-axis. Draw it and then find its components.

kuruman said:
You are asked to find a vector of magnitude 1 that points at angle θ below the positive x-axis. Draw it and then find its components.
Could you please elaborate on how you know the vector magnitude is 1 and how do you know the vector is pointing at theta below the +x-axis?

Troi Jones said:
Could you please elaborate on how you know the vector magnitude is 1 ...
I know because a unit vector by definition has magnitude 1.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_vector
Troi Jones said:
... and how do you know the vector is pointing at theta below the +x-axis?
I know because I looked at the picture that you posted.

Troi Jones said:

Homework Statement

A 0.5 kg block of ice is sliding by you on a very slippery floor at 2.5 m/s. As it goes by, you give it a kick perpendicular to its path. Your foot is in contact with the ice block for 0.0035 seconds. The block eventually slides at an angle of 24 degrees from its original direction (labeled θ in the diagram). The overhead view shown in the diagram is approximately to scale. The arrow represents the average force your toe applies briefly to the block of ice. (Only components involved are x and z, as shown in the picture.)

Homework Equations

delta p= Fnet*delta t
p= m*v
Pythagorean theorem possibly?
Trigonometry

The Attempt at a Solution

Which components of the block's momentum are changed by the impulse applied by your foot? (Check all that apply. The diagram shows a top view, looking down on the xzplane.)[/B]
Its the z component that only changes. The kick was perpendicular to the momentum in the + x direction, so x is not effected.

What is the unit vector in the direction of the block's momentum after the kick?

Not really sure what this question is saying. I know that in the vector the x component will be positive and the z component will be negative, but I'm lost of how to find the momentum for z...What is the x-component of the block's momentum after the kick?
Stated earlier, x component wasn't affected, so the momentum is still 1.25 kg*m/s

Remember that View attachment 218607 = |View attachment 218608|p̂. What is the magnitude of the block's momentum after the kick?

Can't do this problem without that unit vector in question 2

Use your answers to the preceding questions to find the z-component of the block's momentum after the kick (drawing a diagram is helpful):

pfz = ? kg · m/s

What was the magnitude of the average force you applied to the block?

|View attachment 218609avg| = ? N

It be much obliged to have some guidance to solve the questions that are blank
Update: I got the answer wrong. My answer was < 0.4242,0, -.9056>. The solution was <0.914,0, -0.407>. Not quite sure how to get to that answer but anyone feel free to explain if you understand.

I can explain if you first explain how you got your answer. How can I determine where you went wrong without knowing what you did?

1. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector that has a magnitude of 1 and points in a specific direction. It is often used in mathematics and physics to represent a direction or orientation.

2. How is a unit vector represented?

A unit vector is typically represented by a lowercase letter with a hat symbol (â) on top, such as âx, ây, âz. This indicates that the vector has a magnitude of 1 and points in the direction of the respective axis.

3. What is the purpose of using unit vectors?

Unit vectors are useful because they simplify calculations and allow us to focus on the direction of a vector rather than its magnitude. They also help in representing complex vectors in a more manageable way.

4. What is the relationship between unit vectors and a block of ice?

Unit vectors do not have a direct relationship with a block of ice. However, unit vectors can be used to represent the direction and orientation of forces acting on a block of ice, such as gravitational force and frictional force.

5. Can unit vectors be used to represent any type of vector?

Yes, unit vectors can be used to represent any type of vector as long as they have a magnitude of 1 and point in a specific direction. They are commonly used in 3D space to represent position, velocity, and acceleration vectors.