1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit Vectors/ Components

1. Jan 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So this isn't really a specific homework question, it's more of a general one. What is the difference between ax and i(hat)? I thought they were the same thing. Can someone please explain the difference?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2014 #2
    By ax, are you referring to a coordinate basis vector? Please provide more context.

4. Jan 25, 2014 #3
    Sorry, yes that's what I meant. Like the x component of a vector a.

5. Jan 25, 2014 #4
    It still isn't clear to me. Please provide a specific example or two.

Chet

6. Jan 25, 2014 #5
    Hmm... I don't know if I understand this well enough to even formulate a proper question... In my text book it says vector a=a_x*i(hat)+a_y*j(hat). I get that the x component and the y component make up vector a, but I'm confused about the i(hat) and j(hat). I don't understand why the i and j are there :(

7. Jan 25, 2014 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

i(hat) is commonly used as the unit vector in the x direction
    j(hat) idem in the y direction.

So if for example vector a=[5,3] they mean 5 units in the x-direction and 3 units in the y direction, in other words 5 * i(hat) + 3 * j(hat).

a is then the sum of two vectors: one is 5* i(hat), it points in the x-direction and has length 5, the second is 3* j(hat), it points in the y-direction and has length 3

the length of the x-component of a is then ax = 5 and
    the length of the y-component of a is then ay = 3

Often, vectors are printed in bold, as I did with the a to distinguish them from numbers.
    Because they are vectors too, I should also have used [itex]\bf\hat i[/itex] and [itex]\bf\hat j[/itex] or better, bold versions of [itex]\bf\hat \imath[/itex] and [itex]\bf\hat \jmath[/itex] without the dot, and perhaps upright but I can't find them....

8. Jan 25, 2014 #7
    Oh ok, I kind of had a vague understanding that i(hat) was along the x axis, j along the y axis, and k along the z axis but I don't really get why they're there. Can't you tell that a component is on a certain axis by just looking at the sub letter? Like ax is on the x axis, ect... So is using i the same as using ax? By the way, where did you find the hat symbol? I don't see it on here.

9. Jan 25, 2014 #8

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's different notations for different things. The i, j, k are unit vectors which are parallel to the x, y, and z axes, respectively. ax, ay, az can be the scalar magnitudes of the components of a vector, they can be component vectors, whatever. It depends on the particular usage. The magnitude of i, j, or k is always 1 (since they are unit vectors), while ax, ay, az can be anything.

10. Jan 25, 2014 #9
    Ohhh so i, j, and k aren't actually on the axes?

11. Jan 25, 2014 #10

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The unit vectors i, j, and k have the following 3-D representation:

i = (1, 0, 0)
    j = (0, 1, 0)
    k = (0, 0, 1)

with the origin at (0, 0, 0)

These three vectors are mutually perpendicular to one another and are aligned and coincident with the three cartesian coordinate axes.

12. Jan 25, 2014 #11
    No. They are directions parallel to the axes. You express vectors as the sum of scalar components times the unit vectors so that you add and subtract the individual terms like vectors (so they automatically satisfy the parallelogram rule for adding and subtracting vectors). It makes it very convenient to handle them mathematically. In physics problems, you are often resolving vectors into their components perpendicular and tangent to surfaces. In such cases, the unit vectors perpendicular and tangent to the surfaces come in particularly handy, and they are often not parallel to the coordinate axes.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted