1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Unit vectors dot products

1. Nov 6, 2016 #1
    Okay so I understand that in order to represent a vector which is in cartesian coordinates in spherical coordinates.. we use the transformation which is obtained by dotting the unit vectors.
    So my question goes like this:
    when we dot for example the unit vector ar^ with x^ we obtain sin(theta) * cos(phi), however can't the dot product be interpreted as the magnitudes multiplied by the cos of the angle between them.
    In this case the magnitudes are 1 cuz they are unit vectors but how can sin(theta) * cos(phi) equal cos(angle between ar^ and x^)
    I know my notation sucks plz pardon me it's my first time posting... I have no notation at all :(

Thank you for the help

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If you identify the angle between ##\vec r = r\hat r## and ##\vec x = x\hat\imath## (you OK with i-j-k unit vectors?) for an arbitrary ##\vec r## as ##\alpha## to distinguish it from the ##\theta## and ##\phi## of the spherical polar coordinates... then ##\hat r\cdot \hat\imath = \cos\alpha## right?

You can express ##\cos\alpha## in terms of ##\theta## and ##\phi##.
    Give it a go. ie. try first for ##\theta=\pi/2## and ##\phi >0##, then for ##\phi=0## and ##0<\theta<\pi/2## ... then combine the results.

4. Nov 6, 2016 #3
    Awesome haha I actually got it :)
    thanks a million sir

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted