Unit Vectors for Ellipse: How Do You Find the Tangential and Normal Vectors?

In summary, the homework statement asks for the unit vectors for an ellipse with major axis of length a in the x-direction and minor axis of length b in the y-direction. The unit vectors for a circular case can be found by taking the derivate of the vector r with respect to cos(\theta) and sin(\theta), while the unit vectors for an ellipse can be found by taking the derivative of the vector r with respect to sin(\theta) and cos(\theta).
psid

Homework Statement

Find the tangential and normal unit vectors for an ellipse with major axis of length a in the x-direction and minor axis of length b in the y-direction.

Homework Equations

For a circle, the unit vectors are defined as
[tex]\hat{r}=\cos{\theta}\hat{i}+\sin{\theta}\hat{j}[/tex]
[tex]\hat{\theta}=-\sin{\theta}\hat{i}+\cos{\theta}\hat{j}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the circular case the derivation is easy, one just takes the derivate of
[tex]\vec{r}=r\cos{\theta}\hat{i}+r\sin{\theta}\hat{j}[/tex]
with respect to [tex]\theta[/tex] and r. Now one can take the derivative with respect to [tex]\theta[/tex] and hope that this gives the vector I'm looking for, but I'm not sure. How about the vector normal to the tangent?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you not use the appropriate form for homework problems? In particular, why have you not shown any attempt to do this yourself?

(In order that anyone be able to do this, you will need to specify the directions for the major and minor axes.)

First step is to parameterize the ellipse into the form [itex]\vec{r}=\vec{r}(t)=x(t)\hat{i}+y(t)\hat{j}+z(t)\hat{k}[/itex] (I used [itex]t[/itex] as the parameter, but you could just as well use [itex]\theta[/itex] or any other variable). For example, a circle in the xy-plane of radius [itex]R[/itex] centered at the origin can be parameterized as [itex]\vec{r}(t)=R\cos(t)\hat{i}+R\sin(t)\hat{j}[/itex].

Once you've parameterized your ellipse, the unit tangent [itex]\hat{T}[/itex] and unit normal [itex]\hat{N}[/itex] can be easily found by taking derivatives with respect to your chosen parameter:

[tex]\hat{T}=\frac{\vec{v}}{v}=\frac{\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}}{\left| \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt} \right|}[/tex]

[tex]\hat{N}=\frac{\frac{d\hat{T}}{dt}}{\left| \frac{d\hat{T}}{dt} \right|}[/tex]

You should have similar definitions for these unit vectors given in whatever calculus text you are using...do you not?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. The above expression yields tangent vector rather easily:

[tex]\hat{T}=\frac{-a\sin{\theta}\hat{i}+b\cos{\theta}\hat{j}}{\sqrt{a^{2}\sin^{2}{\theta}+b^{2}\cos^{2}{\theta}}}.
[/tex]

But taking the derivative of this yields multiple pages of output in Mathemathica and is not very useful.

Looking the tangent vector one can see that vector defined as

[tex]\hat{N}=\frac{b\cos{\theta}\hat{i}+a\sin{\theta}\hat{j}}{\sqrt{a^{2}\sin^{2}{\theta}+b^{2}\cos^{2}{\theta}}}[/tex]
should be orthogonal with [tex]\hat{T}[/tex] for all [tex]\theta[/tex].

So perhaps this could be used as the normal vector. Am I correct?

That looks fine to me; just be sure that you are being asked for the outward normal, and not the inward normal (Your problem statement doesn't say what definition you are using for the unit normal) which differs from your result by a negative sign.

1. What is a unit vector for an ellipse?

A unit vector for an ellipse is a vector with a magnitude of 1 and a direction that is tangent to the ellipse at a given point. It represents the direction of the curve at that specific point.

2. How is a unit vector calculated for an ellipse?

To calculate a unit vector for an ellipse, you can use the formula:
u = (1/a) * (cosθ, sinθ)
where a is the length of the semi-major axis and θ is the angle between the vector and the x-axis.

3. What is the significance of unit vectors for an ellipse?

Unit vectors for an ellipse are important in understanding the curvature and direction of the curve at a given point. They can also be used in vector calculus to calculate derivatives and integrals of functions that involve ellipses.

4. Can unit vectors for an ellipse be negative?

Yes, unit vectors for an ellipse can have negative values. The negative sign indicates the direction of the vector, but the magnitude remains 1.

5. How do unit vectors for an ellipse differ from unit vectors for a circle?

Unit vectors for an ellipse and a circle are both calculated using the same formula, but the major difference is the value of the semi-major axis. In a circle, the semi-major axis is equal to the radius, while in an ellipse it can vary in length.