1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit Vectors

1. Sep 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the unit vectors that are parallel to the tangent line to the curve y=2sinx at the point ([tex]\pi[/tex]/6, 1). Thereafter, find the unit vectors that are perpendicular to the tangent line.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I took the derivative of y=2sinx and got y'=2cosx. Then subbed in [tex]\pi[/tex]/6 and got slope=[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]. After this, I was totally confused about what to do next since I don't know how to put the function with respect to i, j. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

First thing you should note is that dy/dx tells you how the unit vector x-y components are related to each other. Draw the tangent line at pi/6, and a really small right-angle triangle with the vertical length denoted dy and horizontal length dx. So, see what to do next?

4. Sep 12, 2008 #3
    you have slop which is rise over run . so rise will be j-hat and run will be i-hat.you don't have to find k-hat.just simplify square root of 3.

5. Sep 12, 2008 #4
    Oh yes, I think i got it now. Just to confirm is it (i+root3j) and (-i-root3j)? Thank you so much guys.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  6. Sep 12, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

Don't see how you got that answer. Might want to re-check your working.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?