1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unitary matrix - linear alg

1. May 10, 2009 #1
    I am going over old practice exams and came across this question:

Find the unitary matrix which diagonalizes the matrix

.......i 1 0
    A = (-1 i 0 )
    ...... 0 0 -i

First off, can someone explain to me about unitary matrices and get me started on this question? I do not know where to begin solving it. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

A unitary matrix is a matrix for which [itex]U^{\dagger}U^{-1}=U^{-1}U^\dagger=I[/itex]. So [itex]U^\dagger=U^{-1}[/itex]. A matrix B is diagonalizable if there exists a matrix C such that [itex]C^{-1}BC[/itex] is diagonal.

4. May 10, 2009 #3
    so i found the conjugate transpose of the matrix and got

(-i -1 0)
    (1 -i 0)
    (0 0 i)

is that a start?

5. May 10, 2009 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

No, the idea is that you find [itex]U^\dagger A U[/itex]. A need not be unitary. The first step is to find the eigenvalues of A and their respective eigenvectors. You can however use [itex]A^\dagger[/itex] to check if A is unitarily diagonalizable. A matrix A is unitarily diagonalizable if and only if [itex]A^\dagger A=A A^\dagger[/itex]. Perhaps it's nice to check this for A, although of course A is unitarily diagonalizable.

After you have the eigenvectors check if they form an orthonormal set. If they don't you have to make an orthonormal set by the Gram-Schmidt process. Now make a matrix with its columns being the eigenvectors.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  6. May 10, 2009 #5
    so i came up with the equation:
    -h(h^2+1)+h^2 i

so the eigenvalues are 0, -i, and something else but i dont know how to find that. 0 = ih^2

the eigenvectors are (1,- i,0) , (0,0,1), and something..

7. May 10, 2009 #6

Cyosis

Homework Helper

That equation doesn't look right to me. I got [itex](-i-\lambda)[(i-\lambda)(i-\lambda)+1]=0[/itex]

8. May 10, 2009 #7
    so its
    [tex]
    \left|\begin{array}{ccc}i-\lambda & 1 & 0 \\ -1 & i-\lambda & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & -i-\lambda\end{array}\right|
    [/tex]

so then
    [itex]
    [(i-\lambda)(i-\lambda)(-i-\lambda)]-[(-1)(1)(-i-\lambda)]=0
    [/itex]
    oo.. i forgot the lambda for the last (-i) before.. ok so
    [itex]
    (i-\lambda)(i-\lambda)(-i-\lambda)-(i+\lambda)=0
    [/itex]
    and so
    [itex]
    (-i-\lambda)[(i-\lambda)(i-\lambda)+1]=0
    [/itex]
    is right

so eigenvalues are 0, -i, 2i
    with eigenvectors: (1,- i,0), (0,0,1), (1, i,0)

ok... so as for orthonormal set:
    (1,- i,0), (0,0,1) are perpendicular
    (0,0,1), (1, i,0) are perpendicular

then? lost from there

9. May 10, 2009 #8

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Well this set of eigenvectors is orthogonal and we want an orthonormal set. So you need to normalize them. After that you can simply form a matrix with the eigenvectors as columns. Then test if it's unitary and diagonalize the matrix A.

A tip when it comes to calculating determinants. You don't always have to start from the top left and work to the top right when you write a 3x3 determinant as the sum of 2x2 determinants. Like in this case the fastest way is:

[tex]
    \left|\begin{array}{ccc}i-\lambda & 1 & 0 \\ -1 & i-\lambda & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & -i-\lambda\end{array}\right|=(-i-\lambda)\left|\begin{array}{cc}i-\lambda & 1 \\ -1 & i-\lambda & \end{array}\right|
    [/tex]

Start at the bottom right, because that row/column has the most zeros.

10. May 10, 2009 #9
    aren't they already normalized?
    u1 = (1,- i,0)
    u2 = (0,0,1) - (0+0+0)/... doesnt matter
    u3 = (1, i,0) - (0+0+0)/... doesnt matter

so then i would divide by ||u||
    u1: squareroot(1^2+(-i)^2+0) = 0 --well then itd be undef if u divide by 0
    u2: 1
    u3: 0

11. May 10, 2009 #10

Cyosis

Homework Helper

A normalized vector has length 1. So [itex]||u_1||=\sqrt{(u_1,u_1)}=\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Normalizing u1 gives [itex]1/\sqrt{2}(1,-i,0)[/itex]. It works the same for the others.

12. May 10, 2009 #11
    ok. i ended up with the vectors
    [itex]
    (1/\sqrt{2}, -i/\sqrt{2}, 0), (0, 0, 1), (1/\sqrt{2}, i/\sqrt{2}, 0)
    [/itex]

which gives me the matrix
    [tex]
    \left|\begin{array}{ccc}1/\sqrt{2} & 0 & 1/\sqrt{2} \\ -i/\sqrt{2} & 0 & i/\sqrt{2} \\ 0 & 1 & 0\end{array}\right|
    [/tex]

and the conjugate transpose is
    [tex]
    \left|\begin{array}{ccc}1/\sqrt{2} & i/\sqrt{2} & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 1/\sqrt{2} & -i/\sqrt{2} & 0\end{array}\right|
    [/tex]

then
    [tex]
    \left|\begin{array}{ccc}1/\sqrt{2} & 0 & 1/\sqrt{2} \\ -i/\sqrt{2} & 0 & i/\sqrt{2} \\ 0 & 1 & 0\end{array}\right|
    [/tex] * [tex]
    \left|\begin{array}{ccc}1/\sqrt{2} & i/\sqrt{2} & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 1/\sqrt{2} & -i/\sqrt{2} & 0\end{array}\right|
    [/tex] = [tex]
    \left|\begin{array}{ccc}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{array}\right|
    [/tex]
    which is already diagonalized

so then the unitary matrix/answer is:
    [tex]

[/tex]
    ?

13. May 10, 2009 #12

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Yep that is correct. You've shown that [itex]U^\dagger U=I[/itex]. Therefore U is unitary. You can test if U indeed diagonalizes A by calculating [itex]U^\dagger A U[/itex].

14. May 10, 2009 #13
    ok. thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook