1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unitary matrix proof

1. Dec 5, 2013 #1
    Let u be a unitary matrix in M2(ℝ).
    Prove that if {b1, b2} is an orthonormal basis of ℝ2, then u(b2) is determined up to a negative sign by u(b1).

Can anyone provide some intuition that will help me understand the question (don't really understand it)? Any tips/hints appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2013 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

u is unitary so [itex] u u^{\dagger}=I [/itex]
    [itex] \{b_1,b_2\} [/itex] is an orthonormal basis of [itex] \mathbb{R}^2 [/itex] so [itex] b_i \cdot b_j =\delta_{ij} [/itex]
    The point is:
    [itex] (ub_1)\cdot(ub_2)=(ub_1)^{\dagger}(ub_2)=b_1^{\dagger}u^{\dagger}ub_2=b_1^{\dagger}b_2=b_1\cdot b_2=\delta_{ij}[/itex]
    So because [itex] \{b_1,b_2\} [/itex] is an orthonormal basis,so is [itex]\{ub_1,ub_2\} [/itex] which means [itex]ub_2[/itex] is orthogonal to [itex]ub_1[/itex] which means once [itex] ub_1[/itex] is determined,[itex]ub_2[/itex] is determined up to a negative sign!

4. Dec 5, 2013 #3
    Thank you! I'm confused by the meaning of "up to a negative sign"...what does that meant exactly?

5. Dec 5, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That knowing what u(b1) is will tell you what the absolute value of u(b2) is but not whether it is positive or negative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted