Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unitary operator/matrix

1. Jul 9, 2009 #1
    I have a very basic question. I'm confused because I've read in a text that the matrix representation of a unitary operator is a unitary matrix if the basis is orthogonal, however I believe that the matrix is unitary whatever basis one uses. I'd appretiate any comments on this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2009 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

which text?

4. Jul 10, 2009 #3
    Quantum Mechanics(third edition) E. Merzbacher-Chapter 17 Page 418,I quote :"Since the operators U_a were assumed to be unitary, the representation matrices are also unitary if the basis is orthonormal"

5. Jul 10, 2009 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try a simple example. Take the identity matrix on a 2-dimensional space, which is clearly unitary. Use linearity to compute the matrix elements with respect to the basis [itex]e_{1}' = e_1[/itex] and [itex]e_{2}' = e_1 + e_2[/itex], where [itex]e_1[/itex] and [itex]e_1[/itex] make up an orthonormal basis.

Does this give a unitary matrix?

6. Jul 10, 2009 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A unitary matrix U satisfies [itex]\sum_j U^*_{ji}U_{jk}=\delta_{ik}[/itex]. Is this satisfied by the matrix representation of a unitary operator?

[tex]\sum_j U^*_{ji}U_{jk}=\sum_j\langle j|U|i\rangle^*\langle j|U|k\rangle=\sum_j\langle i|U^\dagger|j\rangle\langle j|U|k\rangle=\langle i|U^\dagger\Big(\sum_j|j\rangle\langle j|\Big)U|k\rangle[/tex]

This reduces to [itex]\delta_{ij}[/itex] if the parenthesis is the identity operator. I can prove that it is, if I use that the basis is orthonormal, but not without that assumption. So it looks like your book is right. What makes you think it's wrong?

7. Jul 10, 2009 #6
    thank you people. The orgin of my mistake goes like this : Let T be a untiary operator and |a_i> (i=1,...n) a basis then the matrix elements satisfy,
    <a_i|T|a_k>=<a_k|T^{\dag}|a_i>*=<a_k|T^{-1}|a_i>*
    what a did not realize was that the matriz elementes in the basis |a_i> are <a_i|T|a_k> only if the basis is orthonomal.

8. Jul 10, 2009 #7

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oops, I didn't realize that myself. :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook