Showing Unitary Operator U is a Fraction of Hermitian Operators

• Thread starter erogard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
U and K into the equation.In summary, to show that a unitary operator U can be written as U=\frac{\mathbf{1}+iK}{\mathbf{1}-iK}, where K is a Hermitian operator, we can use the definition of a unitary operator and the properties of a Hermitian operator to show that the equation holds. This can be done by substituting U and K into the equation and simplifying.
erogard
Hi,

I have to show that a unitary operator [itex] U [/itex] can be written as

[tex]
U=\frac{\mathbf{1}+iK}{\mathbf{1}-iK}
[/tex]

where [itex] K [/itex] is a Hermitian operator.

Now how could you possibly have a fraction of operators if those can be represented by matrices? Not sure what to do here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also doesn't the equality fail for when U=-1 (the negative of a 1 matrix)? No matter what K is I can't see how it would hold since we'd basically end up with -1 + iK = 1 + iK

Hi erogard,

First think about what an Unitary operator is by definition.

with just a quick look at wikipedia you'll be able to see that
\begin{equation}
U^{*}U = UU^* = I
\end{equation}
so given that K is hermitian
\begin{equation}
K^*=K
\end{equation}
and that
\begin{equation}
I^*I = II^*=I
\end{equation}
just see if the above identity holds,

Nik

erogard said:
Hi,

I have to show that a unitary operator [itex] U [/itex] can be written as

[tex]
U=\frac{\mathbf{1}+iK}{\mathbf{1}-iK}
[/tex]

where [itex] K [/itex] is a Hermitian operator.

Now how could you possibly have a fraction of operators if those can be represented by matrices? Not sure what to do here.

Stuff written like that generally just means inverse eg
[itex]A=\frac{1}{\mathbf{(1-B)}}=\mathbf{(1-B)}^{-1}[/itex]

So you just want to show that U us unitary eg [itex]UU^{\dagger}=U^{\dagger}U=I[/itex] (where[itex]\dagger[/itex] is the hermitian conjugate operation)
Which is a pretty simple operation

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. It is important to note that operators and matrices are two different mathematical objects, although they can be related to each other. Operators are abstract mathematical objects that represent transformations or operations on a vector space, while matrices are concrete representations of these operators in a specific basis.

In this case, we are dealing with a unitary operator U, which is a type of linear operator that preserves the inner product of a vector space. This means that for any two vectors x and y, the inner product <Ux, Uy> is equal to <x,y>.

Now, to show that U can be written as a fraction of Hermitian operators, we can use the fact that any unitary operator can be written as e^{iH}, where H is a Hermitian operator. This is known as the polar decomposition of a unitary operator.

Using this, we can write U as:

U=e^{iH}=\frac{e^{iH}+e^{-iH}}{2}+\frac{e^{iH}-e^{-iH}}{2}=\frac{\mathbf{1}+iK}{\mathbf{1}-iK}

where K is the Hermitian operator H divided by i. This shows that U can indeed be written as a fraction of Hermitian operators.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is a unitary operator?

A unitary operator is a linear transformation on a complex vector space that preserves the inner product. In other words, it preserves the length and angle of vectors in the vector space.

2. What is a Hermitian operator?

A Hermitian operator is a linear transformation on a complex vector space that is equal to its own conjugate transpose. In other words, the matrix representation of a Hermitian operator is equal to its own conjugate transpose.

3. How is a unitary operator related to a Hermitian operator?

A unitary operator can be expressed as a fraction of Hermitian operators. This means that a unitary operator can be written as a linear combination of Hermitian operators with complex coefficients.

4. Why is it useful to express a unitary operator as a fraction of Hermitian operators?

Expressing a unitary operator as a fraction of Hermitian operators allows for easier computation and analysis. It also helps in understanding the properties and behavior of the unitary operator.

5. How can one prove that a unitary operator is a fraction of Hermitian operators?

To prove that a unitary operator is a fraction of Hermitian operators, one can use the spectral theorem which states that any unitary operator can be decomposed into a linear combination of Hermitian operators with complex coefficients. This can be verified by showing that the unitary operator satisfies the properties of a Hermitian operator, such as being equal to its own conjugate transpose.