Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

'United 93' Trailer

1. Apr 4, 2006 #1
    'United 93' Trailer....

I really wonder about people here sometimes...

--edit--
    forgot the link...
    http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20060404/114417276000.html

Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2006 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

I don't get it :confused:

4. Apr 4, 2006 #3
    Don't get what?

5. Apr 4, 2006 #4

JamesU

Gold Member

Why it was so upsetting. it seems very melodramatic...it's just a trailer

6. Apr 4, 2006 #5
    Because Americans don't make sense.
    We live in a world that commercializes everything and then get offended when someone commercializes one of the few things we find sacred.

7. Apr 4, 2006 #6

JamesU

Gold Member

okay it makes (or doesn't) sense...

still WTF

8. Apr 5, 2006 #7
    Let's just say I am very tempted to go on a rant about people like her.

9. Apr 5, 2006 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

go for it...

10. Apr 5, 2006 #9
    Let's not and say we did.

11. Apr 5, 2006 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

pansy.....

12. Apr 5, 2006 #11

Not all of us like that everything gets commercialized. In fact, some of us despise it. As well as despising those that love running with it so much.

That said, I think this movie, might be a good thing, if properly done. Even just the trailer brought me almost to tears, thinking about what happened that day, what those people went through and did. I can understand why the woman was upset, but I don't think the point in making the movie was to commercialize anything. That was not my impression at least.

13. Apr 5, 2006 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I find commercials for the Christian Children's Fund equally disturbing.

Since 911, roughly 90,000 Americans have died in auto accidents - that's about 30 WTC disasters. I don't see anyone complaining about movies showing auto accidents.

The point is that I think people make far too much of this. It was a shock and horror to be sure, but in the grand scheme, life goes on. And I have no doubt that we will be watching 911 movies for the rest of my life. Don't like it? That's easy: Don't watch.

14. Apr 5, 2006 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Comparing a bunch of cell phone loving SUV drivers to slamming airplanes into 2 skyscrapers and causing them to while simultaneously attacking a countries military headquarters is a bit off-base.

It's like saying "Why complain about surveillance/civil liberty violations when theres no such thing as privacy in so and so country".

I'm not sure where i stand on this however. When you think about this line that must be crossed when you decide to make a movie like this... i start to wonder what does this "line" really mean. I was thinking about how you can compare it to world war 2. What does it mean to cross that line? Does it mean that we've all gone on withour lives since WW2 (or well, this is more applicable when the majority of the population actually lived during WW2) and we're ready to "live again" or does it mean we've all become disconnected from the events that happened.

I wonder if it's possible to still feel a connection to an event yet be able to "get on with your life" by allowing such movies to be made. Then again maybe it's just how humans are, we forget such destructive events so that we don't feel obligated to feel any guilt. Maybe that's a good thing since it would be pretty damn hard for anyoen to get on with their life if they had to feel any connection towards what happens all around them and in mankind's past. Then again maybe i'm rambling....

15. Apr 5, 2006 #14

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

[dons psycho-babble hat]It could, possibly, be that people like the woman in the theaters, haven't dealt with the whole aspect of that event yet. Then, seeing that trailer, larger than life forced them to deal with it before they were ready [/takes off hat].

16. Apr 5, 2006 #15

cronxeh

Gold Member

at least it wasnt from the makers of '24'

17. Apr 5, 2006 #16
    What's wrong with 24? I happen to find that it has far more common sense in it then pretty much any show on TV.

18. Apr 5, 2006 #17

Yes Ivan, the intentional murder of over 2,000 civilians isn't a big deal at all. Life goes on.

19. Apr 5, 2006 #18
    We need code for sarcasim, a LaTex of sorts, with varying degrees of intensity for the level of sarcasim. At least that way it would guarentee no confusion: I thought for a second there you were serious franznietzsche, you had me worried.

20. Apr 5, 2006 #19
    Franz,

While it was a tragic event, and one should always remember and respect what happened, but you do have to move on with your life at some point. It amazes me that people still worry over 9-11 years afterwards. I live in DC, the attacks happend in very close proximity to me. I don't see most people here acting like that. I had a sniper running around shooting people in my neighborhood. No one cried out when they made a movie about that. Life goes on. I guess I'll never understand how some people worry themselves to death.

21. Apr 5, 2006 #20
    I know that not everyone is ok with it but generally most people are quite ok with it until it hits a specific nerve for them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?