US Postal: Getting a List of ZIP Codes in US

• Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    State
In summary, the United States Postal Service guard ZIP Codes so closely because they want to prevent people from reselling the information.
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
Why does the United States Postal Service guard ZIP Codes so closely? I'm trying to get an up to date list of all the zip codes in the country, but they are making it very difficult to obtain the information. Does anyone have a recent list or know where to get the list for free?

Physics news on Phys.org
85201-mesa, arizona

The Professional, I saw that site, but now I have to write a program to strip all the information. They don't want to just give you a comma delimited file because they want to sell it to you. The government should make it easy for its citizens to obtain this information. Where did this website get the information?

dduardo said:
The Professional, I saw that site, but now I have to write a program to strip all the information. They don't want to just give you a comma delimited file because they want to sell it to you. The government should make it easy for its citizens to obtain this information. Where did this website get the information?
dduardo, the US postal service provides free zipcode look up by address or city which are the only ways a normal citizen would ever need to find a zip code. If you have the zipcode and want to see what city it's in, they provide free lookups that way. Anyone wanting a comprehensive list of all zipcodes is more than likely doing it for marketing reasons, which is a business service provided by the postal service for a small fee.

One could write an Excel macro to read the ZipCode data into a spreadsheet, or one could copy data manually and use a text editor like TextPad, which enables one to manually manipulate large text files or one can write macros with TextPad.

The reason I need this information is to validate address information for a website. I could use USPS' xml web service, but if their site is down, I would like to have a backup system that can check the addresses from a local database.

Ok, well I guess I'll just have to write a zipcode/city scrapper then.

Evo said:
dduardo, the US postal service provides free zipcode look up by address or city which are the only ways a normal citizen would ever need to find a zip code. If you have the zipcode and want to see what city it's in, they provide free lookups that way.

I believe what he's looking for is a comprehensive list of all the zip codes in the country. The USPS website does not provide it, but rather a search feature where you have to enter a state and search it one by one.

dduardo said:

That sounds very, very tedious! :smile: Frankly, I don't know how they got all the information

Last edited:
USPS has a large database, i.e they have exactly the file that you want, but they will not give it away for free.

dduardo - you might consider simply buying the dataset for month ($59.95) - http://www.areacodeworld.com/zipcodegold.htm

I am sure that is would save a lot of time.

Product Summary: ZIPCodeWorld™ United States Gold Edition - The database includes ZIP code, city name, alias city name, state code, phone area code, city type, county name, country FIPS, time zone, day light saving flag, latitude, longitude, county elevation, Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA), Primary Metropolitan Statistical Area (PMSA), Core Based Statistical Area (CBSA) and Census 2000 data in United States. The complete database contains over 76,000 precise records.

Probably more than you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How can I get a list of ZIP codes in the US?

To get a list of ZIP codes in the US, you can visit the official website of the United States Postal Service (USPS) and use their ZIP Code Lookup tool. You can also purchase a list of ZIP codes from a third-party provider.

2. Can I get a list of ZIP codes for a specific state or city?

Yes, you can get a list of ZIP codes for a specific state or city by using the ZIP Code Lookup tool on the USPS website. You can also purchase a list of ZIP codes for a specific area from a third-party provider.

3. Are the ZIP codes in the US constantly changing?

Yes, ZIP codes in the US are constantly changing due to population growth and other factors. It is important to regularly update your list of ZIP codes to ensure accuracy.

4. Can I use the USPS ZIP Code Lookup tool for commercial purposes?

No, the USPS ZIP Code Lookup tool is meant for personal use only. If you wish to use ZIP codes for commercial purposes, you will need to purchase a list from a third-party provider.

5. Are there any other resources for obtaining ZIP codes in the US?

Yes, in addition to the USPS website, you can also find a list of ZIP codes on government websites such as the Census Bureau or the Department of Housing and Urban Development. You can also purchase a list from a third-party provider.