United States Chief Justice dies

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
Pengwuino
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9194092/

WASHINGTON - Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist died Saturday evening at his home in suburban Virginia, said Supreme Court spokeswoman Kathy Arberg.

A statement from the spokeswoman said he was surrounded by his three children when he died in Arlington.

“The Chief Justice battled thyroid cancer since being diagnosed last October and continued to perform his dues on the court until a precipitous decline in his health the last couple of days,” she said.
Whether you approved of his decisions or not, 33 years on the Supreme Court is an honorable accomplishment

Answers and Replies

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Hmm . . . just posted this in P&WA. Perhaps we can limit this thread to condolences, and leave any discussion of decisions and implication and such to elsewhere.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
There will be plenty of time for political discussions. This is a time for mourning and remembrance.

Oh geez, this is the first thing I saw when I opened up my homepage.. my heart stopped.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I am very sad to hear the news. :frown: He will be missed.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Lets try to keep the politics out of this thread please.

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I see that there are two Rehnquist threads, this being the condolences thread.

Hopefully, an equally competent judge as Rehnquist will be selected as the new Chief Justice.