Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

United States Drug Enforcement Agency is a Criminal Organization

1. Nov 15, 2009 #1

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2009 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you have a source other than a youtube video to corroborate these claims? Youtube is hardly a credible source for anything.

4. Nov 15, 2009 #3

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not claiming anything. The guy is a former DEA agent, so I thought people might be interested in what he has to say.

5. Nov 15, 2009 #4
    I've seen former NASA staff say we never went to the moon or that we've found life on Pluto. All from youtube so you're right, this place is awesome!

6. Nov 15, 2009 #5

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

7. Nov 15, 2009 #6
  8. Nov 15, 2009 #7

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For people who are not too familiar with wikipedia, the references are at the end (scroll to the bottom). They include official reports from various investigations conducted by the government, and also declassified documents.

9. Nov 15, 2009 #8
    Have you read those references yet?

https://www.cia.gov/library/reports/general-reports-1/cocaine/contra-story/intro.html

I don't know how you came with the conclusion that

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  10. Nov 15, 2009 #9

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you?

"On April 17, 1986, the Reagan Administration released a three page report acknowledging that there were some Contra-cocaine connections in 1984 and 1985"

That's not a conclusion that I came to, that's a claim made by the DEA agent in the video. Before you start a pointless argument about the definition of 'criminal organization', I will clarify: the DEA agent claims that that the DEA and other governmenent agencies were involved in some criminal activities, like assasinations, drug trafficking etc.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  11. Nov 15, 2009 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And which source is that from? Likewise, 1984 and 1985? Something from 25 years ago is supposed to tells us about today? There is a world of difference between having some corrupt agents caught being corrupt and the entire agency being complicit in it.

Again, please provide the CREDIBLE sources, not wikipedia and not youtube. If you want to make a claim about an organization, provide the direct evidence of it, not send people on a wild goose chase through tertiary, unreliable reports and interpretations of what the original source might have said, but probably didn't.

But you're the one repeating it here. If you don't believe it, why are you wasting our time with it?

12. Nov 15, 2009 #11
    When someone directs you to a page to see references to such and such an event it means the references are contained within the actual page. If you wanted people to look at cited materials then you should say that. Or direct people to the referenced materials for this page.

If I say to you 'read this book which references this event' or 'read this book for references about this event' etc. you would read the book for the references contained within the book.

Have you read any of the references used on that page? The reason why I was being so sarcastic about everything was because you geniuinely seem to believe the allegation this ex-DEA agent makes about the DEA being a criminal organization. In fact it looks as though you're trying to PROVE his point to us.

If you read the pages that even yourself linked to us which is supposed to support this position even there it shows that the DEA was AGAINST the CIA trafficking drugs in anyway.

13. Nov 15, 2009 #12
    Why don't you just provide direct reference to the three pages report. One of the references in the wikipedia took me to a dead/spam link and second to the CIA report I posted above.

14. Nov 15, 2009 #13

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"U.S. Concedes Contras Linked to Drugs, But Denies Leadership Involved", Associated Press (17 April 1986)

I made no claims about what it is supposed to tell us today.

The credible sources are listed on the wikipedia page. Would you like me to post all of them here? Since I have made no specific claims, I don't know what you want me to give sources for. I simply found the video interesting, and posted it here in case others are interested. Again, I myself am not making any claims.

Do I have to believe it to find it interesting? If you think its a waste of your time, don't watch it.

15. Nov 15, 2009 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This is not meeting minimum criteria for posting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook