1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Units Conversion

1. Oct 12, 2013 #1
    Hey guys I am having a big problem with this question :frown:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The adsorbtion isotherm for the removal of a contaminant from waste water is givern by the langmuir equation: q=(bkC)/(1+bC) where q is the loading of contaminant of the adsorbent and C is the concentration of the contaminant in solution. Literature data gives values for the constants b and k of 1.16 and 130 respectively for the case where q is grains per lb and C is grains per gal . Determine the values for b' and k' for the Langmuir equation between loading q' in mg per g and C' in mg per dm^3 .

Data : 1 lb=7000 gr(grains)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am sort of stuck as the 2 variables will have changes in their unis simultaneously, all I have done is to convert 1mg=0.01544 gr and 1 dm^3=0.220 gal .

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Dimensional analysis will probably work here:
    With equation: $$q=\frac{bkC}{1+bC}$$ ... are k and b dimensionless?
    Did the values you looked up have units at all? There's a clue right there.

What are the units of b and k in terms of the units of q and C?

You can work it out - either by reading the tables or dimensional analysis:
    i.e. notice that, in the denominator "1+bC" has to make sense in terms of units?
    so (square brackets reads "units of"): [1+bC]=[1]+[bC] means that must have some relation to [C].

Note: 1 cubic decimeter = 1 liter.

4. Oct 13, 2013 #3

THANKS !! , you made me realised that b and k are not dimensionless at all ,before this I had always assumed them to be dimensionless.

5. Oct 13, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well done.

Checking the dimensions is very powerful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted